Calculate Root Mean Square Speed of Oxygen Molecule in a Flask

In summary, to find the root mean square speed of an oxygen molecule in a sealed flask at 27 degrees Celsius, you must first convert the temperature to Kelvin and then use the equation rms = square root (3RT/M). To find the average kinetic energy of the molecule, use the equation KEaverage = 3/2 RT.
C-A-L
I solved on my own the work below is incorrect.

Homework Statement

A sealed 500ml flask contains oxygen gas at a temperature of 27 degrees Celsius.
a) Calculate the root mean square speed of an oxygen molecule in the flask?
b) Calculate the average kinetic of an oxygen molecule in the flask?

Homework Equations

rms=square root (3r T/M)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) square root of (3*8.314)*(300/32)
=15.3 m/s
Is this the correct way to go about this question? b) KE average= 1/2 M (v)2
= 1/2*(32)*(15.3)2
=3.75*103 N/m

I do have one more question but I would like to know if I did these two problems correctly.
Thank you for your time greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, these are not correct solutions. The first equation should be rms = square root (3RT/M) where R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas. For part a), you need to convert the temperature from Celsius to Kelvin (K = C + 273.15). Then solve for the root mean square speed of the oxygen molecule: rms = square root (3*8.314*(273.15 + 27)/32) = 15.5 m/sFor part b), the equation for average kinetic energy is KEaverage = 3/2 RT, where again R is the ideal gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin. Therefore, KEaverage = 3/2 * 8.314 * (273.15 + 27) = 3.78 * 103 N/m

1. What is the formula for calculating the root mean square speed of an oxygen molecule in a flask?

The formula for calculating the root mean square speed of an oxygen molecule in a flask is √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of oxygen.

2. How do I convert the temperature to Kelvin?

To convert temperature from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. For example, if the temperature is 25°C, the temperature in Kelvin would be 298.15K.

3. What is the value of the gas constant (R)?

The value of the gas constant (R) depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the calculation. The most commonly used value is 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K, but other units such as joules or pascals may require a different value.

4. Can I use this formula for other gases besides oxygen?

Yes, this formula can be used for any gas as long as the molar mass and temperature are known. However, the value of the gas constant may differ depending on the gas being used.

5. How can I use the root mean square speed of oxygen molecule in a flask in my research?

The root mean square speed of oxygen molecule in a flask is a useful calculation in understanding the behavior of gases in a closed system. It can be used in various research areas such as atmospheric science, chemical reactions, and gas dynamics.