1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root of 2

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1
    How do I show that 2 has no rational roots?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2005 #2

krab

Science Advisor

First assume it does. Write square root of 2 = p / q, where p and q are integers. Then p^2 = 2 q^2, and so must be even... you can guess the rest. Eventually you come to a conclusion that contradicts one of your original assumptions.

4. Jun 27, 2005 #3
    Where p and q are coprime integers...

5. Jun 27, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note: you will need the fact that the square of an odd number is always odd:
    (2n+1)2= 4n2+ 4n+ 1= 2(2n2+ 2n) + 1.

6. Jun 27, 2005 #5
    No, I meant ANY rational root. That is,

[tex]2^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex] is not rational for any positive integer n > 1.

I tried "extending" the square root of 2 proof, however, at some point,

[tex]2a^n=b^n[/tex]

If n is even, then it works. But if n is odd, then the argument breaks down.

Or does it, let me think....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2005
  7. Jun 27, 2005 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the same proof applies. Suppose (p/q)n = 2 where gcd(p,q) = 1. Then

pn = 2qn

This tells us that pn is even, which tells us that p is even, which tells us that 2n|pn. This in turn tells us that qn is even, which in turn tells us that q is even. Both q and p are even, and thus aren't co-prime, contradicting our assumption that they were.

8. Jun 27, 2005 #7
    Yup, that's what I thought too. Thanks everyone.

On a side note, [tex]x^x = 2[/tex] implies that x cannot be rational because [tex]x = 2^{1/x}[/tex] and 2 has 2 rational roots, as we've shown. Is that correct?

9. Jun 27, 2005 #8

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Our assumption before was that 21/n where n was an integer greater than 1. However I don't think it is hard to extend if you let x = p/q.

10. Jun 27, 2005 #9

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x is rational, then there are coprime p and q such that x = p/q. We get:

(p/q)(p/q) = 2

(p/q)p = 2q

If p/q is not a whole number, then in general (p/q)n is not whole for natural n, and in particular when n = p. On the other hand, 2q is of course whole, so we have a contradiction unless p/q is a whole number. But it's easy to check 11 is not 2, 22 is not 2, etc. So we get a contradiction regardless, so x is irrational.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook