Are There Closed Form Approximations for nth Order Polynomial Roots?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, there is no general approach for finding closed form expressions for the roots of polynomials above order 4. Iterative approaches using computers are fast and convenient, but may not always be accurate. This is because Galois proved that it is impractical, if not impossible, to find a general formula using arithmetic and radicals for solving for the roots of polynomials of degree greater than or equal to 5. Therefore, the best way to approximate the roots is through numerical methods.
aaaa202
Do there exist closed form approximating expressions for the roots of an nth order polynomial?

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't find an expression over radicals for roots of polynomials above order 4, but you are asking about approximating roots without using iterations.

There are many approaches - depending on how good you need the approximation to be.
You have to do some of this in order to get the 1st approximation for the iterative approaches to work quickly.

AFAIK: there is no general approach for all polynomials - with computers, iterative approaches are fast and convenient so you don't have to be very accurate.

It is because I have an expression for a physical quantities, which depends on the roots of an nth order polynomial. I want to see if I can get an approximate closed form expression and to do that I need an approximate closed form for the root.

aaaa202 said:
It is because I have an expression for a physical quantities, which depends on the roots of an nth order polynomial. I want to see if I can get an approximate closed form expression and to do that I need an approximate closed form for the root.

You may have heard of this chap called Galois. He proved that a general formula using arithmetic and radicals for solving for the roots of polynomials of degree greater than or equal to 5 was impractical, if not impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial

It's like trying to go faster than the speed of light: all sorts of wonderful things could happen if this were possible, but alas, it is impossible. It is the same situation with finding the roots to your polynomial: numerically or not at all.

Last edited:

1. What is a root of nth order polynomial?

A root of nth order polynomial is a value that satisfies the equation of a polynomial of degree n. In simpler terms, it is a value that makes the polynomial equal to zero.

2. How do you find the roots of a nth order polynomial?

The most common method to find the roots of a nth order polynomial is by using the quadratic formula for polynomials of degree 2 or the cubic formula for polynomials of degree 3. For higher degree polynomials, numerical methods such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method can be used.

3. How many roots can a nth order polynomial have?

A nth order polynomial can have at most n roots, including complex and repeated roots. However, some polynomials may have less than n roots if some of them are complex numbers.

4. What is the importance of finding the roots of a nth order polynomial?

Finding the roots of a nth order polynomial is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It allows us to solve equations and make predictions about real-world problems.

5. Can a nth order polynomial have imaginary roots?

Yes, a nth order polynomial can have imaginary roots, also known as complex roots. This occurs when the discriminant of the polynomial is negative, indicating that the roots will be complex numbers.