1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root question

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    My friends teacher posted a sample problem saying find the real roots of x^6 + 1. Is this a trick question? All roots for this function are imaginary right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2
    Yep!

Consider the fact that [itex]x^6 + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow x^6 = -1 \Rightarrow x = (-1)^{1/6}[/itex]. If you write [itex]-1 = e^{i(\pi + 2\pi n)}[/itex], then this is simply [itex]e^{i(\pi/6 + n\pi/3)} = \cos(\pi/6 + n\pi/3) + i\sin(\pi/6 + n\pi/3)[/itex] for n = 0, 1, ..., 5. If there were any real roots, then the imaginary part of this would be zero; i.e., we would have [itex]\pi/6 + n\pi/3 = m\pi[/itex] for some integer m. But since there are only finitely many values of n, you can just do this manually. We have:

[itex]\pi/6, \pi/2, 5\pi/6, 7\pi/6, 3\pi/2, 11\pi/6[/itex]

none of which would cancel the imaginary part.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    If you've taken calculus (and I assume you have if you're on this board), another way to see it would be to note that since this is an even degree polynomial, the limit as [itex]x\rightarrow \pm\infty[/itex] will be the same. In this case, it is positive infinity. Now find the minimum of this function by taking the derivative ([itex]6x^5[/itex]) and setting it equal to zero. Then you can see that the only critical point is at x = 0, which corresponds to f(0) = 1 in the original function. You can perform a derivative test if you want to verify that it's a minimum, but graphically you can see that it is. Since the minimum is y = 1, there are no roots.

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, not "imaginary", but "complex". the only "imaginary" roots of [itex]x^6+ 1= 0[/itex] is are i and -i. The other for are non-real complex numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook