1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root test fails, now what?

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

determine whether the series (1-1/n^(1/3))^n converge or diverge

2. Relevant equations
    all the testing procedure

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I did the root test first, but the limit on the inside is 1. I then tried the ratio test but then when I tried taking the limit, I ended up with e^(-infinity+infinity). Finally, I tried the test for divergence on the original series, but i turned out be zero so it might or might not converge. Now I'm totally stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you try the comparison test?

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You should never end up with something like this ( -∞ + ∞), as it is indeterminate. I agree with what you got on the root test, so that's not a useful test, and the n-th term test seems to give a value of 0, so it doesn't tell us anything.

I would take another look at the ratio test to see what the limit actually is.

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If
    [tex]t_n = \left(1 - \frac{1}{n^{1/3}}\right)^n,[/tex]
    you can look at ##L_n = \ln(t_n)## and use the series expansion of ##\ln (1-x)## for small ##x = 1/n^{1/3}##, to get the behavior of ##t_n## for large n. In fact, you can even get a simple upper bound ##u_n##, so that ## 0 < t_n < u_n##, and ##\sum u_n## is easy to analyze.

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The OP might not have been exposed to series yet...

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Series are not really needed here; it is enough to know that 1-x < exp(-x) for x > 0, so that ln(1-x) < -x for small x > 0.

Anyway, if the OP has seen series the method could be useful; if he/she has not yet seen series it is perhaps not useful. However, I have no way of knowing what the OP has, or has not, seen.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. Oct 15, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not seeing how that would help. If it's working toward the ratio test, the ratio of consecutive terms approaches 1 as n→∞, so that test is inconclusive.

There is a very simple series that does converge that looks somewhat like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted