Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Root Test, Infinite Series

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't have the problem in front of me but it was something like "converge or diverge"?:

[tex]\sum[/tex] 5^n/(n+1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I would like to know that if I use the root test, would I get lim n-> [tex]\infty[/tex] 5/(n+1)^1/n = 5/(n+1)^0 = 5/1 = 5 ?

I suspect this is not correct since (n+1)^1^n is an indeterminate form, however, in the book the only way to solve the problem that led to the correct answer was if (n+1) became 1

(this is not the exact example, I am more interested in if you can use the root test on variables variables of n in the base, ex lim -> [tex]\infty[/tex]n^1/n

If this is not clear enough I will re-post with the correct problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(n+1)^(1/n) may be indeterminant, but the limit as n->infinity of (n+1)^(1/n) is 1. Take the log and apply l'Hopital.

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    do you mean, y=(n+1)^1/n
    lny = ln(n+1)^1/n,
    lny = (n+1)/n

y'/y = 1/1
    e^y'=e^y... ok I got kinda lost

5. May 1, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ln((n+1)^(1/n))=(1/n)*ln(n+1)=ln(n+1)/n. Apply l'Hopital. What's limit ln(n+1)/n?

6. May 1, 2010 #5
    ok, but when I take the derivative of the top and bottom with respect to n I get (1/(n+1)) / 1 = 1/(n+1), and that -> 0 as n - > infinity. Not sure how you are getting 1 as an answer.

7. May 1, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That limit is telling you that log(y)=0. Remember, you took the log? What's y?

8. May 1, 2010 #7
    so take e on both sides and you get y = e^0, or y = 1

:)

Thanks! I think that's just something worth memorizing!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook