Root Test Question: Baby Rudin Example 3.35

• Thread starter camillio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root Test
In summary, the conversation is about applying the root test to a series and the confusion surrounding the use of a small step in the solution. The correct solution is to use both parts of the formula and solve the limit for only one part. This is the pure math and Rudin's way.
camillio

Homework Statement

Consider the following series (Baby Rudin Example 3.35):
[itex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{3^2} + \frac{1}{2^3} + \frac{1}{3^3} + \ldots[/itex]

We have to apply the root test.

2. The attempt at a solution
[itex]\sqrt[n]{2^{-\frac{n+1}{2}}} = \sqrt[2n]{2^{-(n+1)}}[/itex] for n odd; (1)
[itex]\sqrt[n]{3^{-\frac{n}{2}}} = \sqrt[2n]{3^{-n}}[/itex] for n even.

Letting [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] we have [itex]1/\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] for inferior and superior limits. This result is equivalent to that one of Rudin, however, he states, that for n odd, we have [itex]\sqrt[2n]{2^{-n}}[/itex] in Eq. (1).

What is the obvious thing that I'm still missing? Thanks for responses in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
camillio said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following series (Baby Rudin Example 3.35):
[itex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{3^2} + \frac{1}{2^3} + \frac{1}{3^3} + \ldots[/itex]

We have to apply the root test.

2. The attempt at a solution
[itex]\sqrt[n]{2^{-\frac{n+1}{2}}} = \sqrt[2n]{2^{-(n+1)}}[/itex] for n odd; (1)
[itex]\sqrt[n]{3^{-\frac{n}{2}}} = \sqrt[2n]{3^{-n}}[/itex] for n even.

Letting [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] we have [itex]1/\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] for inferior and superior limits. This result is equivalent to that one of Rudin, however, he states, that for n odd, we have [itex]\sqrt[2n]{2^{-n}}[/itex] in Eq. (1).

What is the obvious thing that I'm still missing? Thanks for responses in advance!

That's not what Rudin says. The only thing that Rudin says is

[tex]\limsup{\sqrt[n]{a_n}}=\lim{\sqrt[2n]{2^{-n}}}[/tex]

which is certainly true. I think you may be confused because he left out a small step

[tex]\limsup{\sqrt[n]{a_n}} = \lim{\sqrt[2n]{2^{-(n+1)}}} = \lim{\sqrt[2n]{2^{-1}}\sqrt[2n]{2^{-n}}}=\lim{\sqrt[2n]{2^{-n}}}[/tex]

I don't have the Rudin text available to me.

However, can't we bound the series above to establish convergence by
[itex]\sum(1/2^k + 1/2^k)[/itex] from k = 1 to oo?
If necessary, find a way to reindex the given series to match.
The bounding series then becomes,
[itex]\sum(2 * 1/2^k)[/itex] from k = 1 to oo,

Maybe that bypasses, what we're supposed to be learning.

micromass said:
I think you may be confused because he left out a small step

Thank you, I was confused with this. I had the same idea, but I didn't see the reason for solving the limit for only one part of the formula. Of course, the equality of RHS and LHS is obvious. But that is the pure math and the Rudin's (correct) way :-)

nickalh: of course, there are several possible ways how to solve it, but I was confused by the Rudin's way.

1. What is the purpose of Example 3.35 in Baby Rudin?

Example 3.35 in Baby Rudin is used to demonstrate the application of the root test in determining the convergence or divergence of a series. It presents a specific series and shows how to use the root test to determine its convergence or divergence.

2. What is the root test in mathematics?

The root test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves taking the nth root of the absolute value of each term in the series and then evaluating the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

3. How do you apply the root test in Example 3.35?

In Example 3.35, you would take the nth root of the absolute value of each term in the series, which is (n+1)/(2n+1). Then, you would evaluate the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. In this example, the limit is equal to 1, so the root test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

4. What does it mean when the root test is inconclusive?

When the root test is inconclusive, it means that the test cannot determine whether the series converges or diverges. In this case, another test, such as the ratio test or the integral test, must be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

5. Why is Example 3.35 useful in understanding the root test?

Example 3.35 is useful because it provides a concrete example of how to apply the root test in determining the convergence or divergence of a series. It also illustrates how the root test can sometimes be inconclusive and the need for additional tests to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. This example helps to deepen our understanding of the root test and its application in mathematics.