How to solve a complex equation using quadratic formula

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding complex solutions to the equation 3(x^2 + y^2) + (x - iy)^2 + 2(x + iy) = 0. The first method involves converting the equation to the form f(x,y) + i g(x,y) = 0 and solving it, while the second method involves using the quadratic formula after conjugating the equation. The conversation also provides hints for solving the equation using both methods.
username12345

Homework Statement

Find all complex solutions to the following equation:

[tex]3(x^2 + y^2) + (x - iy)^2 + 2(x + iy) = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

I want to use the quadratic formula, but not sure if it applies here.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is as far as I can get. What I would like is some idea as to what technique to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could give you two ways of solving this problem. I ask u the following questions first..

1. What is the solution to x + iy = 0, or say x+1 + i(y-1) = 0? If you have answered these correctly, then I guess you should go ahead and convert your problem to a

f(x, y) + i g(x,y) = 0 type, and solve it...2. Write z = x + iy. Thats one equation. Conjugate it. Thats another equation. Can u solve them together now??

praharmitra said:
If you have answered these correctly, then I guess you should go ahead and convert your problem to a

f(x, y) + i g(x,y) = 0 type, and solve it...

I don't understand this.

praharmitra said:
2. Write z = x + iy. Thats one equation. Conjugate it. Thats another equation. Can u solve them together now??

Are you suggesting that the complex conjugates are roots?

The equation I supplied was expanded where x + iy was originally z and x - iy was "zed bar".

Does anyone know a procedure to follow to solve this?

k, i'll simplify it slightly more for you...

For method 1.

I want you to use the formula (a+b)^2 and open up every bracket... then club together all real terms together, and all imaginary terms (with an i) together...

So, now do u get something like f(x,y) + i g(x,y) = 0 ? Can you tell me how to solve such a problem??

If no, then I'll just give one hint... (x+1) + i ( y-1) = 0 is of the above form with f(x,y) = x+1 and g(x,y) = y-1.

The only solution to the above is (-1,1). can u tell me why?
For method 2.

ok, this i will solve slightly so that i can explain clearly...

put x + iy = z. then x - iy = z*

The equation becomes...

3 z z* + (z*)^2 + 2 z = 0

Now conjugate the above equation. we get

3 z* z + z^2 + 2 z* = 0

You now have two equations with variables z and z*. Solve for them..

Hint - Subtract them

1. What are the roots of a complex equation?

The roots of a complex equation are the values of the variable that satisfy the equation when substituted into it.

2. How do you find the roots of a complex equation?

To find the roots of a complex equation, you can use various methods such as the quadratic formula, factoring, or graphing.

3. Can complex equations have multiple roots?

Yes, complex equations can have multiple roots. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial equation of degree n has n complex roots, some of which may be repeated.

4. What is the difference between real and complex roots?

Real roots are solutions to an equation that can be represented by real numbers, while complex roots involve imaginary numbers. Real roots lie on the x-axis of a graph, while complex roots lie on the imaginary axis.

5. Why are complex roots important in mathematics?

Complex roots are important because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved by real numbers alone. They also have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.