Finding Roots of Complex Polynomials: General Formula and Exponential Form

In summary, the general formula for finding the roots of the complex polynomial {z}^{n}-a is to write the complex number a in polar form, with a = |a|\exp(i\theta), and then take the nth root of |a| and multiply it by each angle \theta_k = \frac{\theta + 2k\pi}{n} for k = 0, 1, ..., n-1. This will give you the n roots of the polynomial, expressed in exponential form.
complexhuman
Hi all

Jut had a question. How do I go about finding the general formula for roots of the complex poly [tex]{z}^{n}-a[/tex] where a is another complex number.

Do I just go [tex]{z}^{n}=a[/tex]? :S so complicated this things!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
complexhuman said:
Hi all

Jut had a question. How do I go about finding the general formula for roots of the complex poly [tex]{z}^{n}-a[/tex] where a is another complex number.

Do I just go [tex]{z}^{n}=a[/tex]? :S so complicated this things!

Thanks in advance!
It is easier if z is written in geometric form
let a=u+i v where u and v are real
z=r(cos(t)+i sin(t)) where 0<=r
then
z^n-a becomes
(r^n)(cos(n t)+i sin(n t))-a
so r should be chosen by
r^n=|a|=sqrt(a^2+b^2)
cos(n t)+i sin(n t)=a/|a|
so
cos(n t)=u/|a|
sin(n t)=v/|a|
tan(n t)=v/u
t=(1/n)Arctan(v/u)
this is one solution but n can be found using the usual methods of solving trigonometric equations.
in fact
t=(1/n)Arctan(v/u)+2pi k/n
k=0,1,2,...,n-2,n-1,
thus
z=r(cos(t)+i sin(t))
=|a|^(1/n)(cos((1/n)Arctan(v/u)+2pi k/n)+i sin((1/n)Arctan(v/u)+2pi k/n
))
k=0,1,2,...,n-2,n-1

Last edited:
It's actually easiest to understand in polar co-ordinates. [itex]a = |a|\exp (i\theta )[/itex]. So simply take |z| to be |a|1/n. Take angles [itex]\theta _k = \frac{\theta + 2k\pi}{n}[/itex] for values k = 0, 1, ..., n-1. Then your roots are the complex numbers [itex]|z|\exp (i\theta _k)[/itex] for the n values for k.

Last edited:
Since ei&theta;= cos(&theta;)+ i sin(&theta;), AKG and lurflurf are saying exactly the same thing!

We're saying very different things. lurflurf is saying that it's easiest to see it in geometric form, I'm saying it's easiest to see it in polar form.

Writing a+ bi as r(cos(θ)+ i sin(θ)) is writing the complex number in polar form.

Oops, my mistake. Then whatever form my post was in is easier to understand. What would it be called? Exponential form? Euler form?

"Exponential" form would do. Engineering texts talk about "Cis &theta;" which is shorthand for "cos(&theta;)+ i sin(&theta;)" but, yes, exponential form is a lot simpler (though more sophisticated) than "cis".

1. What are the roots of a complex polynomial?

The roots of a complex polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. They can be found by setting the polynomial equal to zero and solving for the variable.

2. How many roots can a complex polynomial have?

A complex polynomial can have a maximum of n roots, where n is the degree of the polynomial. However, some of these roots may be repeated or imaginary.

3. How do complex roots affect the graph of a polynomial function?

Complex roots affect the graph of a polynomial function by causing the graph to cross the x-axis at those points. The number and location of complex roots can also affect the overall shape and behavior of the graph.

4. Can a complex polynomial have real roots?

Yes, a complex polynomial can have real roots. In fact, a polynomial with real coefficients will always have complex roots in conjugate pairs, meaning that if one root is a+bi, then its conjugate a-bi will also be a root.

5. How can the roots of a complex polynomial be used in applications?

The roots of a complex polynomial can be used in various applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and cryptography. They can also be used to solve optimization problems and in the study of differential equations.