1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Roots of cubics

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not so much a homework problem, but a problem that is annoying me because of its simplicity.

Not all cubic polynomials with rational coefficients can be factorized by the rational root theorem (or is this false?). What I am finding hard to comprehend is how a cubic with only irrational or imaginary roots can have all rational coefficients.
    What I'm looking for is an example or two illustrating a completely factorized cubic with non-rational roots that, if expanded, has all rational coefficients.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In an attempt to figure out how it can be done myself I have realized that it is impossible to have one quadratic factor (rational coefficients) that does not have rational roots and the last factor still satisfying this.

e.g. [tex](x^2+a)(x+b)[/tex] given a>0, the quadratic factor will have imaginary coefficients and of course b will need to be irrational or imaginary, but then if we expand this, the constant will be [itex]ab[/itex] which - if a is rational - will not satisfy the criteria, or if a is such a number that ab becomes rational then we will end up breaking the criteria again since the coefficients of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x^2[/itex] will be b and a respectively (which we've already shown have to both be non-rational).

I've tried a few others, but I'm sure you get the point :smile:

And of course this problem of mine applies to all polynomials of odd degrees.

EDIT: Oh and please exclude the obvious (for me anyway) cases of [itex]x^3+a=0[/itex] where a is rational and [itex]a^{1/3}[/itex] is not rational.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you are excluding x^3+a=0, but ok, this particular example came up in a problem earlier. 8x^3-6x-1=0 has three real roots. None of them are rational. By the rational roots test. The roots are cos(pi/9), and (1/2)*(-cos(pi/9)+/-sqrt(3)*sin(pi/9)). Kind of complicated, but what did you expect? I still like x^3-2=0 much better.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. Jan 10, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I excluded that obvious type because I know there were more cases where the coefficients of x and x2 weren't zero, and that one is really simple of course.
    Thanks, I see where they are coming from now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook