What is the number and position of real roots of x4+4x3-4x-13=0?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the Descarte's rule of signs can be used to determine the number of real roots for a given polynomial equation. However, finding the position of the roots may require more advanced methods, such as the rational root test, Newton's method, or bracketing techniques. Alternatively, one can use online resources like Wolfram Alpha to quickly and easily find the roots of a given equation.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Find the number and position of real roots of x4+4x3-4x-13=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the number of real roots using the Descarte's rule of signs. One is positive and other is negative. Now about the position of roots, i don't have any idea. Substituting the values of x and checking if f(x)=0 won't be a good idea. Also i can't factorize the given expression. I can't think of any other way for finding the roots.

Is it possible to find the roots using calculus? If yes, please tell me, i would be happy to know about that.

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the rational root test.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
Use the rational root test.

I don't think it will work here.

Hey Pranav!

There are a couple of algorithms to find non-nice roots in a quartic polynomial.
You can find a selection of them on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

However, to calculate them is quite involved.
And in the end they will give you the solutions that wolframalpha also gives.
If you take a look at wolframalpha, you'll see that the exact solutions are quite complex.

Alternatively there are other ways, like Newton-Raphson to approximate the roots.
Or else you can "bracket" the roots.
That is, find a (small) interval in which each of the roots must be.

I like Serena said:
Hey Pranav!

There are a couple of algorithms to find non-nice roots in a quartic polynomial.
You can find a selection of them on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

However, to calculate them is quite involved.
And in the end they will give you the solutions that wolframalpha also gives.
If you take a look at wolframalpha, you'll see that the exact solutions are quite complex.

Alternatively there are other ways, like Newton-Raphson to approximate the roots.
Or else you can "bracket" the roots.
That is, find a (small) interval in which each of the roots must be.

Thank you ILS for the reply but is there any calculus based way to find the roots?

Pranav-Arora said:
Thank you ILS for the reply but is there any calculus based way to find the roots?

No. However, you could regard Newton's method (which is an iterative algorithm to find successively better approximations to a root) as calculus-based.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
No. However, you could regard Newton's method (which is an iterative algorithm to find successively better approximations to a root) as calculus-based.

RGV

Thanks for the clarification, i will look into that. :smile:

The question asked for "number" and "position" of real roots. You might be able to simplify your work a teensy tiny bit by doing a rough sketch of the curve. Even this is tough, when you differentiate to find the turning points, you get a cubic with a discriminant greater than zero, meaning there are 3 real distinct turning points, none of which can be found "easily" (e.g. with RRT). You'll definitely need to use Newton's method here. Or you can just roll up your sleeves and go through the tedious algebraic process for an exact solution (which, after you're done, will likely look ugly enough that you'll be wondering why you even bothered!). :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:
The question asked for "number" and "position" of real roots. You might be able to simplify your work a teensy tiny bit by doing a rough sketch of the curve. Even this is tough, when you differentiate to find the turning points, you get a cubic with a discriminant greater than zero, meaning there are 3 real distinct turning points, none of which can be found "easily" (e.g. with RRT). You'll definitely need to use Newton's method here. Or you can just roll up your sleeves and go through the tedious algebraic process for an exact solution (which, after you're done, will likely look ugly enough that you'll be wondering why you even bothered!). :biggrin:

Graphing? I am always poor at that. :biggrin:
I still need to look into the Newton's method on Wikipedia, there is a huge information about that on Wikipedia. I guess i won't look into the algebraic process as you have already made me aware of the results. :P

I am lucky enough as i have found a way of solving equations of degree 4, i found these in one of my elder brother's engineering books so i won't have to refer Wikipedia for those. :tongue2:
The methods given in the book are Ferrari's method and Descarte's method.

Curious3141 said:

There might only be one turning point, since it is possible that two of the roots of the cubic are complex.

RGV

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Find the number and position of real roots of x4+4x3-4x-13=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the number of real roots using the Descarte's rule of signs. One is positive and other is negative. Now about the position of roots, i don't have any idea. Substituting the values of x and checking if f(x)=0 won't be a good idea. Also i can't factorize the given expression. I can't think of any other way for finding the roots.

Is it possible to find the roots using calculus? If yes, please tell me, i would be happy to know about that.

Thanks! :smile:

Nowadays there are easier ways. For example, you can use Wolfram Alpha http://www.wolframalpha.com . Just type the formula x^4 +4*x^3 - 4*x - 13 and press 'enter'---see what you get! Note: there is no cost other than internet connection charges.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
There might only be one turning point, since it is possible that two of the roots of the cubic are complex.

RGV

But there are two real roots here in this case.

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

Not in this case. The cubic discriminant of the derivative is positive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discriminant#Cubic

A general iteration that converges nicely comes from the re-arrangement:

4x³ = 13 + 4x - x⁴

i.e., x = ∛( (13 + 4x - x⁴)/4 )

1.0 → 1.588 → 1.48 → ...

I understand you wanting a method with a better guarantee than the hit and miss of a general iteration re-arrangement, but the lure of its "lucky dip" outcome always beckons me to give it a try. :smile:

If you need certainty: http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^4++4*x^3+-+4*x+-+13=0&x=6&y=4&js=off

Pranav-Arora said:
Erm..instead of going in such an algebraic mess, can't we use Descarte's rule of signs?

Yes, but how much does that really help you? You can tell that there's exactly one positive root, but there may be either 3 or 1 negative root(s).

Curious3141 said:
Yes, but how much does that really help you? You can tell that there's exactly one positive root, but there may be either 3 or 1 negative root(s).

We can find the number of negative roots by the same rule. Just plugin -x at the place of x and see how many times the sign changes from negative to positive. ;)

Pranav-Arora said:
We can find the number of negative roots by the same rule. Just plugin -x at the place of x and see how many times the sign changes from negative to positive. ;)

Yes, but the rule does not fix the number of negative roots down in this case. There are 3 sign changes - that means there can be *either* 3 *or* 1 negative root. In this case, it's the latter (if you graph the curve), but there's no way to exclude the former possibility (3 negative roots) without graphing the curve.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
There are 3 sign changes - that means there can be *either* 3 *or* 1 negative root.

How?? :confused:
I only see one sign change.
Substituting -x i get x4-4x3+4x-13=0.
I see only one sign change, from negative sign to positive sign. There is only one negative root.

Pranav-Arora said:
How?? :confused:
I only see one sign change.
Substituting -x i get x4-4x3+4x-13=0.
I see only one sign change, from negative sign to positive sign. There is only one negative root.

+x^4 -> -4x^3 : one sign change
-4x^3 -> +4x: one sign change
+4x -> -13: one sign change

3 sign changes, implying 3 or 1 negative root(s).

Curious3141 said:
+x^4 -> -4x^3 : one sign change
-4x^3 -> +4x: one sign change
+4x -> -13: one sign change

3 sign changes, implying 3 or 1 negative root(s).

I am sorry Curious, you are right, i just rechecked the rule! :smile:

Can there be 2 negative roots?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am sorry Curious, you are right, i just rechecked the rule! :smile:

Can there be 2 negative roots?

No. It's either the number of sign changes, or less than it by a multiple of 2.

Curious3141 said:
No. It's either the number of sign changes, or less than it by a multiple of 2.

Thanks, there's nothing like that mentioned in the book i am referring, so i will remember it. :smile:

1. What is the degree of the polynomial x4+4x3-4x-13=0?

The degree of the polynomial is 4 because it is the highest exponent in the equation.

2. How many real roots does x4+4x3-4x-13=0 have?

The number of real roots can be determined by counting the number of sign changes in the coefficients of the polynomial. In this case, there are two sign changes, indicating that there are either two or zero real roots.

3. How can I find the real roots of x4+4x3-4x-13=0?

One method to find the real roots is by using the Rational Root Theorem, which states that any rational root of a polynomial must be a factor of the constant term over a factor of the leading coefficient. In this case, the possible rational roots are ±1 and ±13. By substituting each of these values into the equation, we can determine that the only real root is x = -1.

4. Can the real roots of x4+4x3-4x-13=0 be expressed in any other form?

Yes, the real root of x = -1 can also be expressed as the complex number -1 + 0i.

5. How can I use the real roots of x4+4x3-4x-13=0 in the context of a problem?

The real roots can be used to find the x-intercepts of the graph of the polynomial, which can provide information about the behavior of the function and its solutions. They can also be used in applications such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function or solving optimization problems.