1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of f(x)

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    let be the function f(x) so we have that if x is a root also x* is a root, but we have that x is NEVER a pure imaginari number,i mean x is always different from x=ia the my question is if this means that all the roots will be real,the only counterexample i find is:

[tex]f(x)=(x-x_{0})(x-x_{1})(x-x_{2})........[/tex]

that is an infinite polynomial that has all its roots in the form a is a root and also a*.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(That's an infinite product, not a polynomial)

It is easy to construct counterexamples to the claim:

If f is a function such that
    (1) whenever a is a root of f, then so is a*
    (2) no root of f is purely imaginary
    then the roots of f are real.

The simplest ideas work. We want f to have a non-imaginary non-real root. Let's pick (1+i).
    Then, f must also have (1-i) as root.
    So we need a function f that is zero at (1+i) and (1-i), and nonzero elsewhere.

That's very easy to do: let f be the function that is zero at (1+i) and (1-i) and 1 elsewere.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  4. Oct 15, 2005 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since I have a guess where you're trying to apply this, let's take the Riemann Zeta function as a counterexample. The roots come in conjugates by the reflection principle yet none of the roots are purely imaginary.

If you want something with no poles and not a polynomial, take f(x)=(x-1-i)*(x-1+i)*e^x.

5. Oct 15, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Am I the only one who gets annoyed at the confusion of "roots" and "zeroes"?

My understanding is that equations have roots: 2 and 3 are roots of the equation x2- 5x+ 6= 0.
    But that functions have zeroes: 2 and 3 are the zeroes of the function
    x2- 5x+ 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?