1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of higher derivatives

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Let f (x) = (x^2 − 1)^n . Prove (by induction on r) that for r = 0, 1, 2, · · · , n,
    f^ (r) (x)(the r-th derivative of f(x)) is a polynomial whose value is 0 at no fewer than r distinct points of (−1, 1).

I'm thinking about expanding f(x) as the sum of the (n+1) terms, then it's easier to take derivatives. But I don't know how to get the roots from there then. Could anyone please give me some hints? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, have you figured out any special cases? Like maybe n small, or maybe r=0 and r=n?

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    I tried to prove by induction on r. But I'm not sure how to express the k-th derivative of f(x). r=0 or r=n are special cases, they clearly holds. My problem is how to generalize it.

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]f(x)= (x-1)^n(x+ 1)^n[/itex] and all derivatives are done by repeated use of the product rule.

As for using induction, [itex](x-1)^{k+1}(x-1)^{k+1}= (x^2- 1)^k (x-1)(x+ 1)[/itex]. Use the product rule on that.

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    Could you please be a bit more specific about your second line? The k here means the k-th derivatives. The power of (x-1)(x+1) is a fix n, and I don't think I'm supposed to do an induction on that. f^(r)(x) has to be a pretty messy function, is there a clear way to take derivative out of that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook