Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of unity of matrices

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    hi. i have recently become very interested in the idea of the nth roots of unity. i have discovered how to calculate them (using eigenvalues), and i find it very fascinating that there are not n many nth roots of unity(unlike scalars).
    aparently in the case where the matrix is 2x2, there are n^2 roots of unity

my questions:
    given a size=k matrix, find the nth roots of unity. how many roots of unity are there? i want a general formula. is it n^k?
    What is the geometrical interperetation of the nth roots of unity of a matrix? the determinants of the nth roots are equal(analogous to the fact that the nth roots of unity of a scalar are points on a circle), but what about the placement of the vectors that compose the matrix? in other words, what is analogous to the fact that the roots of unity of a scalar form a regular polygon?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, there are infinitely many square roots! If you solve the system of four quadratic equations in four unknowns, you get the solutions:

[tex]\left[ \begin{matrix}{\sqrt{1 - xy} & x \\ y & \pm -\sqrt{1 - xy}}\end{matrix} \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \begin{matrix}{-\sqrt{1 - xy} & x \\ y & \pm \sqrt{1 - xy}}\end{matrix} \right][/tex]

where x and y can be any numbers at all, such that xy is in [0,1].

Your formula is correct for diagonal matrices: there are exactly n^k n-th roots of unity. This is easy to see, because each diagonal entry can be any n-th root of unity.

But to each such diagonal matrix, there are infinitely many matrices similar to it: for any invertible matrix P, if D is one if your n-th roots of unity, then PDP-1 is another n-th root of unity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook