Roots of Unity: Finding Primitive Root W6 and Solving for 1/W6

In summary, the problem asks to mark the six sixth roots of 1 in the complex plane and determine which one of them is its own reciprocal. The notation used is ωn for the principal nth root of unity, and the six roots are the powers of ω6. Therefore, the two roots that are their own reciprocals are ω0 (= 1) and ω3 (= -1).
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

In this problem, I was to mark all the sixth roots of 1 in the complex plane. Then, I was to figure out what the primitive root W6 is.

However, I am stuck by the question: "Which power of W6 is equal to 1/W6?"

Homework Equations

See Below

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, W6 appears to be 1, so could I just not use the power n=-6 to do this?
This would yield me the value cos(-2*pi) which would be equal to 1. Thus, in general, for Wn, do I simply multiply by -n to get the reciprocal?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
fredrogers3 said:

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

In this problem, I was to mark all the sixth roots of 1 in the complex plane. Then, I was to figure out what the primitive root W6 is.

However, I am stuck by the question: "Which power of W6 is equal to 1/W6?"

Homework Equations

See Below

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, W6 appears to be 1, so could I just not use the power n=-6 to do this?
What does a power of -6 have to do with this problem? The question is asking whichy root is equal to its own reciprocal.

When you say "W6 appears to be 1" did you do as the problem asks, and mark each of the six roots?
fredrogers3 said:
This would yield me the value cos(-2*pi) which would be equal to 1.
Yes, but cos(2##\pi##) is also equal to 1. Why do you have the number -2 multiplying pi?
fredrogers3 said:
Thus, in general, for Wn, do I simply multiply by -n to get the reciprocal?
?
From your question, I'm guessing that you did NOT mark the six sixth roots of 1. If you have all six of them drawn on the unit circle, it should be obvious that two of them are their own reciprocals.

Mark44 said:
What does a power of -6 have to do with this problem? The question is asking whichy root is equal to its own reciprocal.

When you say "W6 appears to be 1" did you do as the problem asks, and mark each of the six roots?
Yes, but cos(2##\pi##) is also equal to 1. Why do you have the number -2 multiplying pi?

?
From your question, I'm guessing that you did NOT mark the six sixth roots of 1. If you have all six of them drawn on the unit circle, it should be obvious that two of them are their own reciprocals.

I have W3=-1 and W6=1, so these two equal their own reciprocal. Is that what the question is asking? I seem to have completely misunderstood the question.

That's what I think the problem is asking for, but the problem statement isn't as clear as it should be, IMO. A clearer problem statement would be this:
Mark the six sixth roots of 1 as points on the unit circle in the complex plane. Which of these roots is its own reciprocal?
Answer to the second question:
w0 = 1, (w0)6 = 1, so w0 is a sixth root of 1, and 1/w0 = 1

w3 = -1, (w3)6 = 1, so w3 is another sixth root of 1, and 1/w3 = -1

I'm not sure how they are numbering the roots. I am numbering them w0 (= 1), w1, ..., w5. If they are numbering them w1, w2,..., w6, it's hard to say what w6 is if I don't know what they're calling w1.

I interpret the notation rather differently. I believe the author is writing ωn for the principal nth root of unity. The 6 roots of unity are therefore, by definition, the powers of ω6, ω6 having the least nonzero argument of them. ωn for n≠6 is irrelevant to the question.

1. What are the roots of unity?

The roots of unity are the solutions to the equation x^n = 1, where n is a positive integer. These solutions are complex numbers that lie on the unit circle, with a magnitude of 1.

2. How many roots of unity are there?

There are n distinct nth roots of unity, where n is a positive integer. This means that for every positive integer n, there are n different solutions to the equation x^n = 1.

3. What is the relationship between roots of unity and trigonometry?

The roots of unity can be represented using trigonometric functions. The real part of a root of unity corresponds to the cosine of its angle on the unit circle, while the imaginary part corresponds to the sine of the angle.

4. What is the significance of the roots of unity in mathematics?

The roots of unity have many applications in mathematics, including in complex analysis, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They also play a crucial role in the study of symmetry and group theory.

5. How are the roots of unity related to the concept of unity itself?

The roots of unity are called as such because they are complex numbers that, when raised to a positive integer power, equal 1. This relates to the concept of unity, which represents a state of being whole or complete.