Roots of unity

1. I don't understand why roots of unity are evenly distributed? Every time when we calculate roots of unity, we get one result and then plus the difference in degree, but I think this follows the rule of even distribution and I don't understand that, it is easy to be trapped in a reasoning cycle.
    how to prove it using mathematics?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mentallic

Mentallic 3,751
    Homework Helper

Are you asking if you have a complex root with some argument [itex]\theta[/itex] then why would you also have a corresponding root with argument [itex]-\theta[/itex]?
    If that is the case then what you're noticing are complex conjugates, and it's very important to remember that every real polynomial that has a complex root will also have a complex conjugate root.

But if you're actually looking for a reason why the roots of unity are all evenly spaced around the unit circle in the complex plane, then read up about De Moivre's theorem and notice that if

[tex]z^n=1[/tex]

where
    [tex]1=e^{2\pi k i}[/tex] with k being any integer, or if you're working with the trigonometric form,
    [tex]1=\cos({2\pi k})+i\sin({2\pi k})[/tex]

and now just take the nth root of both sides. It then shouldn't be hard to notice how they're evenly spaced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted