1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots question

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    Show that the equation x2 + (3[tex]\alpha[/tex] - 2)x + [tex]\alpha[/tex]([tex]\alpha[/tex] - 1) = 0 has real roots for all values of α [tex]\in[/tex] IR.

How do i do this? Do i just use the
    b2 + 4ac [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2
    Yes that should be correct.

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3
    But i can't factorize it out. i get 5[tex]\alpha[tex]2 - 2[tex]\alpha[tex] + 4 [tex] \geq[tex] 0

Do i use the formula? and write [tex]\alpha[tex] ranges that will satisfy it?

here's another question, show that x2 - x + 1 has the same sign for all values of x.
    How do i show?

Just x2 - x [tex]\geq[tex] 0 will do ?

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you can show that by drawing the graph for the function f(x) = x^2 - x + 1 and check that the function never crosses the x-axis.

6. Jul 4, 2008 #5
    How do i draw a graph without knowing its roots?

7. Jul 4, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

so you don't know how to draw graphs using differential calculus?

otherwise, just find the roots to x^2 - x + 1 , (it is very simple) - if you want.

8. Jul 4, 2008 #7
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes i don't know how to do so.
    But X^2 + x - 1, i use the formula to find the roots? then just draw the graph?

9. Jul 4, 2008 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]x^2-x+1[/tex]
    you could just use the disciminant or find the minimum point or putting it in the completing the square form.

10. Jul 4, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

Which question are you doing now? For the first one, just apply the discriminant condition and you'll get a quadratic equation in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. From there, you should use the discriminant condition again for the alpha quadratic to see if the quadratic equation for alpha can ever be negative.

The second question is answered much the same. You have x^2 - x +1. What condition must the discriminant satisfy such that f(x) does not cross the x-axis? Check also that the graph is above the x-axis to begin with.

11. Jul 4, 2008 #10
    so do i just write x^2 - x >= 0 ? In that condition, it will never touches. I still don't get how should i draw a graph. If i use completing the square, i found (x - 1/2)^2 + 1 + 1/4

ps. I got it already, thanks guys.

12. Jul 4, 2008 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

Where did x^2 - x come from? The discriminant is b^2 - 4ac. There should be no x in the discriminant, only numbers. As for graph sketching, note that the graph is either a u-shape or n-shape depending on the sign of the coefficient of the x^2 term. That should help you visualise if the f(x) is always positive or negative.

13. Jul 4, 2008 #12
    Erm with the discriminant i found -3. So i write -3 < 0 ?

14. Jul 5, 2008 #13

Defennder

Homework Helper

What does that tell you about f(x)? More specifically what does that tell you about how the graph of f(x) should look like?

15. Jul 5, 2008 #14
    it means the value is below -3? the graph should looks like a U right ?

16. Jul 5, 2008 #15

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yes and you also need to add in what the discriminant tells you.

17. Jul 5, 2008 #16
    thanks. Mind if i ask another question?
    Determine the condition to be satisfied by k such that the expression 2x^2 + 6x + 1 + k(x^2 + 2) is positive for all x .
    Do i use discriminant for this?

18. Jul 5, 2008 #17
    Note that

[tex] 2x^2>0 [/tex]
    [tex] kx^2>0,\ k \geq 0 [/tex]

and so on. You could also use the derative.

19. Jul 5, 2008 #18

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yes you can discriminant for this. I assume the reason why you didn't use calculus is because you haven't learnt that yet.

20. Jul 5, 2008 #19
    erm, is differentiation and integration called calculus?
    I tried using the discriminant for it. But the value is off too.

21. Jul 5, 2008 #20

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't know what you mean by 'off'. Can you post your working here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?