How can we solve complex equations with roots in the first quadrant?

In summary, the equation (z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2})^{29} = \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}} has 29 roots in the first quadrant, with the real part of z being equal to \cos \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29} and the imaginary part of z being equal to \sin \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29} - \sin \frac{\pi}{3} for n = 0 to 28.
Moridin

Homework Statement

Determine how many roots the equation

[tex](z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2})^{29} = \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

has that are in the first quadrant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to treat the right hand side in the following way.

[tex](z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2})^{29} = \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2} = (\cos \frac{\pi}{4} + i \sin \frac{\pi}{4})^{1/29} = \cos \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29} + i \sin \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29}[/tex]

It seems reasonable to rewrite the left hand side into

[tex]z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2} = z + i \sin \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

Which give us

[tex]z + i \sin \frac{\pi}{3} = \cos \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29} + i \sin \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29}[/tex]

Now the real part of the LHS must match the real part of the RHS. This means that the real part of z, must be

[tex]Re ~z~ = \cos \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29}[/tex]

and that the imaginary part of x must be

[tex]Im ~z ~= \sin \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29} - \sin \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

From here, I am pretty much lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Moridin! :smile:

Yes, that all looks pretty good (and nice LaTeX, by the way)! :smile:

Your only error is in:
Moridin said:
[tex]z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2} = (\cos \frac{\pi}{4} + i \sin \frac{\pi}{4})^{1/29} = \cos \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29} + i \sin \frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29}[/tex]

because (something)^(1/29) has 29 roots.

(much as √(something) = (something)^(1/2) has 2 roots)

So it should be:

[tex]z + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2} = (\cos \frac{\pi}{4} + i \sin \frac{\pi}{4})^{1/29} = \cos \left(\frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29}\,+\,\frac{2n \pi}{29}\right) + i \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{4 \cdot 29}\,+\,\frac{2n \pi}{29}\right)[/tex]

for 0 ≤ n ≤ 28. :smile:

1. What are roots in complex equations?

Roots in complex equations refer to the solutions of the equation in the complex number system. They are values that, when substituted into the equation, make it true.

2. How are complex roots different from real roots?

Complex roots are different from real roots because they involve the use of imaginary numbers, which are numbers that, when squared, result in a negative number. Real roots, on the other hand, only involve the use of real numbers.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of algebra?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that any polynomial equation with degree n has exactly n complex roots, counting multiplicities. This means that a polynomial equation of degree 3 will have 3 complex roots, and so on.

4. How do you solve for complex roots?

To solve for complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or the cubic formula, depending on the degree of the polynomial equation. You can also use graphing techniques or numerical methods to approximate the roots.

5. Why are complex roots important in mathematics?

Complex roots are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved using only real numbers. They also have applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.