How Does Friction Affect the Acceleration of a Rolling Cylinder?

In summary: So in summary, the linear acceleration of the center of the cylinder is equal to the tangential acceleration relative to the center, which is equal to the angular acceleration multiplied by the radius of the cylinder.
John O' Meara
A rope is wound around a cylinder of mass 4kg and with moment of inertia I=0.020 kg.m^2 about an axis along the cylinder axis, see attachment. If the cylinder rolls without slipping, (a)what is the linear acceleration of its mass center? (b)Repeat for the case where no friction force exists between the table and the cylinder.
So we have a force of 20N applied in the direction shown in the attachment, and the radius of the cylinder is r=10cm.
My attempt: (a)torque T=I*(alpha) where (alpha) is angular acceleration, therefore (alpha)=T/I = 20*.1/.02 = 100rad/s^2
a_tangential=r*(alpha) = 10m/s^2.
a_center=?
(b) F=m*a therefore a_center=20/4=5m/s^2.
Any help would be welcome in redard to what a_center is in part (a). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attachment didn't work. The force of 20N is applied at the top of the rolling cylinder and parallel to the table surface.

You have not considered all of the forces acting in part a)

Ok I forgot the frictional force f.
20-f=m*a
T-Tf=I*(alpha), where T= torque, Tf =friction torque, alpha= angular acceleration. Now
T-Tf=I*a/r; r*F - r*f = I*a/r therefore
F - f=I*a/r^2 ...(i)
-20 + f=-m*a ...(ii) add i & ii therefore
F-20=I*a/r^2-m*a; => a=20/6=3.333 m/s/s...as F=m*a
a_tangential=3.333m/s^2
a_center=. Can anyone tell me where I might be gone wrong and where?Thanks.

John O' Meara said:
Can anyone tell me where I might be gone wrong and where?
There is something wrong with your torque. Look at your free body diagram.

Are you saying : T-Tf=I*(alpha) is wrong? which I think you are. Please specify.Thanks. I have got: 20 - f=m*a; T=I*(alpha) and f=(mu)*n ...n=m*g. I have got two unknowns a and f (and really only one independent equation). I must be able to eliminate the frictional force f.

John O' Meara said:
Are you saying : T-Tf=I*(alpha) is wrong? which I think you are. Please specify.Thanks. I have got: 20 - f=m*a; T=I*(alpha) and f=(mu)*n ...n=m*g. I have got two unknowns a and f (and really only one independent equation). I must be able to eliminate the frictional force f.
In your equation for ma you have tension and friction acting in opposite directions. Look at where these forces act on the cylinder and the directions. What does that tell you about the torques they produce?

I think I have got what you are saying:
20 - f = m*a;
T + Tf =I*(alpha); therefore r*F + r*f = I*a/r and F+f=I*a/r/r; which gives a new equation 20 + F = I*a/r^2 + m*a, now what is F equal to? Is it equal to m*a if it is then a_tangential = 10m/s^2

John O' Meara said:
I think I have got what you are saying:
20 - f = m*a;
T + Tf =I*(alpha); therefore r*F + r*f = I*a/r and F+f=I*a/r/r; which gives a new equation 20 + f = I*a/r^2 + m*a, now what is f equal to? Is it equal to m*a if it is then a_tangential = 10m/s^2
Those should be small f in your quote, right? I changed them. This gives you two equations for two unknowns, f and a. f is whatever it has to be to satisfy both equations, as is a.

20 + f=I*a/r^2 ...(i); 20 - f = m*a ...(ii); a=40/(I/r^2+m) therefore a_tangential = 6.667m/s/s.The question is what is the linear acceleration of the center of the cylinder? The question then is what is the relationship of the linear acceleration to the tangential acceleration. a_tangential = r*(alpha) where (alpha) is the angular acceleration.

John O' Meara said:
20 + f=I*a/r^2 ...(i); 20 - f = m*a ...(ii); a=40/(I/r^2+m) therefore a_tangential = 6.667m/s/s.The question is what is the linear acceleration of the center of the cylinder? The question then is what is the relationship of the linear acceleration to the tangential acceleration. a_tangential = r*(alpha) where (alpha) is the angular acceleration.
The (a) you defined earlier is the acceleration of the center of the cylinder. You then wrote your angular acceleration in terms of that (a) as alpha = a/r. The tangential acceleration relative to the center of the cylinder is (alpha)*r = = (a/r)*r = a, the same as the acceleration of the center.

1. What is the rope acceleration question?

The rope acceleration question is a physics problem that involves determining the acceleration of an object that is attached to a rope and being pulled up or down by a force.

2. How is rope acceleration calculated?

Rope acceleration is calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force applied to the rope, and m is the mass of the object attached to the rope.

3. What factors affect rope acceleration?

The factors that affect rope acceleration include the force applied to the rope, the mass of the object attached to the rope, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. Can rope acceleration be negative?

Yes, rope acceleration can be negative if the force applied to the rope is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. This means that the object is slowing down instead of speeding up.

5. How does rope acceleration relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Rope acceleration is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of the rope acceleration question, the net force is the force applied to the rope and the mass is the mass of the object attached to the rope.