What is the new distance between the rope and the Earth?

In summary, the radius of the circle created by the new rope is 2.5 times larger than the radius of the Earth. This means that the rope would be 3 feet off the ground if it were connected to the Earth.
Punkyc7
a rope is wrapped tightly around the Earth (radius 250000). The rope is cut and 3 feet are added to it and the ends are reconnected. Again it is wrapped around the earth. How much space is now between the rope and the earth

so C[itex]_{0}[/itex] =2piR

and C=2pi(R+x)

so to find the height is ti 2piR+2pix-2piR=3

so

x=3/2pi

Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
a rope is wrapped tightly around the Earth (radius 250000).

250,000 whats?. Furlongs? Units are crucial -- always include them.

Punkyc7 said:
The rope is cut and 3 feet are added to it and the ends are reconnected. Again it is wrapped around the earth. How much space is now between the rope and the earth

I take issue with the phrasing of the question. If the rope is again wrapped around the Earth (i.e. around its surface), then my automatic answer/assumption would be that there is still no space between the rope and the Earth, only now the rope goes around the Earth for slightly more than one full turn.

However, if the question is actually supposed to be, "what is the radius of a circle formed by the new rope, and how much larger is this radius than the radius of the Earth?", then what you have done below looks fine.

Punkyc7 said:

and C=2pi(R+x)

so

x=3/2pi

No surprise here. Circumference varies linearly with radius, meaning that it is proportional to it, with the constant of proportionality being 2[itex]\pi[/itex].

Punkyc7 said:
a rope is wrapped tightly around the Earth (radius 250000). The rope is cut and 3 feet are added to it and the ends are reconnected. Again it is wrapped around the earth. How much space is now between the rope and the earth

and C=2pi(R+x)

so

x=3/2pi

Your first job is to compute the circumference given a radius of 250000.

Your second is to compute a new radius given that circumference plus 3.

I'll leave the third step to you.

AC130Nav said:
Your first job is to compute the circumference given a radius of 250000.

Your second is to compute a new radius given that circumference plus 3.

I'll leave the third step to you.

Umm...no? He did the algebra and he got the answer. EDIT: he or she

EDIT2: What I'm saying here is that leaving things symbolic is fine. Plugging in numbers for R doesn't gain you anything when you can do algebraic manipulations to solve for the exact quantity you're looking for, and that is what the OP has already done.

Could be a trick question.

Due to the potential mass of the rope, if there was ANYWAY that you could add more to it (without it slipping into the ocean), then that length would only allow more lee-way for it to move lower elsewhere.

And when I say elsewhere, I mean, somewhere really close. It would either lower into the nearest soft body or do nothing and fall over aloof.

Anyway, this isn't helping :P.

1. How long would the rope need to be to wrap around the earth?

The circumference of the earth is approximately 40,075 kilometers, so the rope would need to be at least that length to wrap around the earth.

2. What type of material would the rope need to be made of?

The rope would need to be made of a strong and durable material, such as steel or carbon fibers, to withstand the weight and tension of wrapping around the earth.

3. Could the rope be used for transportation or communication purposes?

No, the rope would not be able to support the weight of any objects or be used for communication as it would likely break under the tension of wrapping around the earth.

4. Would the rope stay in place or would it slide off the earth?

The rope would stay in place due to the earth's gravitational pull. However, it would likely shift and move due to the rotation of the earth and various weather patterns.

5. How would the rope impact the environment or ecosystems around the earth?

The installation of a rope around the earth would have a significant impact on the environment and ecosystems, disrupting natural habitats and potentially causing harm to wildlife. It could also disrupt air and water currents, leading to changes in weather patterns.