1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rope being spun with mass

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

nlsmts.png

2. Relevant equations

mv^2/r
    v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    My physics midterm is tomorrow and I was doing review today, so I did this question, then looked at the professor's solutions. For the radius in both equations he used the length of the rope, but shouldn't the radius be Lsin20??? Also the way he positioned his y and x axis was that the Y axis was parallel to tension(EXTRA INFO).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Panphobia! :smile:

(your professor can't spell "vertical"! :wink:)
    I think you're misunderstanding "swings in a vertical circle".

It means that the circle is in a vertical plane. :wink:

(Lsin20° would be for a horizontal circle)

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    Yea that is what I meant, it is pointing down. So is my professor wrong? OHHHH CRAPP didn't know it was a pendulum, sorry man this question was dumb :(

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, the ball is moving in the plane of the paper, and so the radius of the circle is L :confused:

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    Yea I pointed out earlier that it is moving as a pendulum and not in a circle.

7. Oct 17, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if the radius of the circle is L, why would you use Lsin20° ? :confused:

8. Oct 17, 2013 #7
    I figured that out earlier, I thought original that it the mass was spinning about the vertical axis at angle theta, THEN the radius would be from the end of the mass to the vertical axis. But later I read the question more in depth and found that it was a pendulum, and if it is a pendulum then the radius is the length of the rope.

9. Oct 17, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(isn't that what i said? :confused:)

so is it all ok now? :smile:

10. Oct 17, 2013 #9
    Yes thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted