Robot Climbs Rope Without Batteries: Project Idea

• Thread starter carzygoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot Rope
In summary, the conversation is about building a non-chemically powered rope climbing robot that can climb a rope of 8mm thickness to a height of approximately 1.5m. The suggested idea is to use two connected rollers with rubber bands inside that can be wound up. Another suggestion is to use a pullback or wind-up motor, but the weight of the robot must be considered.
carzygoul
Hey guys I have a freaking project that requires me to build a rope climbing robot that cannot be powered by chemical based. Basically no batteries as such are required.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some background info about the scale and expected complexity of the project will be good to have. Right now I have no clue if you mean just a spring-loaded toy that'll pull on 10 cm of sewing thread, or something like the space elevator climber challenge.
http://www.spaceward.org/elevator2010-pb [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
We're basically required to build a robot that is non-chemically powered to climb a rope of 8mm thick to a height of approximately 1.5m

carzygoul said:
we're basically required to build a robot that is non-chemically powered to climb a rope of 8mm thick to a height of approximately 1.5m
Simplest thing that comes to mind: Two connected rollers with rubber bands inside, which you wind up.
PHP:
 |
 |
o|o
 |
 |

Last edited:
hmm what if i use a pullback or wind-up motor... u think can climb better?

Last edited:
carzygoul said:
hmm what if i use a pullback or wind-up motor... u think can climb better?
If you have one, you can try. But keep in mind that the weight counts. Rubber bands are light.

What is the purpose of this project?

The purpose of this project is to demonstrate the use of alternative power sources for robots, specifically the use of kinetic energy to power a climbing mechanism.

How does the robot climb without batteries?

The robot will use a combination of a motor and gears to convert the kinetic energy from the rope's movement into mechanical energy to power the climbing mechanism. This eliminates the need for traditional batteries and showcases the potential of using alternative power sources.

What materials are needed for this project?

Materials needed for this project include a motor, gears, rope, and a climbing mechanism. Other materials such as a power source and a controller may also be required depending on the specific design of the robot.

What skills are required to complete this project?

This project requires basic knowledge of robotics, mechanics, and electronics. It is recommended to have experience with building robots and using motors and gears before attempting this project.

Can this project be modified for different purposes?

Yes, this project can be modified for different purposes by adjusting the design and components to fit the desired task. For example, the climbing mechanism can be changed to a gripping mechanism for picking up objects instead of climbing ropes.