Solve Rope Friction Homework: 55lb Lift 25lb Tire

In summary: So a much smaller force is needed to keep the girl lifted than to initially lift the tire. In summary, a 55 lb force is required to lift a 25 lb tire off the ground with a rope wrapped half way around a tree branch, and a 7.5 lb force is required to keep a 55 lb girl lifted with the rope wrapped 1.5 wraps around the tree branch. The coefficient of friction was determined to be 0.251 using the equation T2 = T1eμβ and the given weights and number of wraps.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

A 55 lb force is required to lift a 25 lb tire off the ground with a rope wrapped half way around a tree branch. How much force is required to keep a 55 lb girl lifted with the rope wrapped 1.5 wraps around the tree branch?

Homework Equations

T2 = T1eμβ

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I wasn't given a coefficient of friction, my first thought is to figure that out. So far here is how:

T2 = 55
T1 = 25
55lb = 25eμ[itex]\pi[/itex]

By taking the natural log of both sides ln([itex]\frac{55}{25}[/itex]) = .788
Then dividing that by [itex]\pi[/itex] → μ = 0.251

Now using my coefficient:

T2 = ?
T1 = 80
T2 = 80e0.251*3[itex]\pi[/itex]

I'm getting an extremely unrealistic number for this, so I'm not sure where my errors are.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

A 55 lb force is required to lift a 25 lb tire off the ground with a rope wrapped half way around a tree branch. How much force is required to keep a 55 lb girl lifted with the rope wrapped 1.5 wraps around the tree branch?

Homework Equations

T2 = T1eμβ

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I wasn't given a coefficient of friction, my first thought is to figure that out. So far here is how:

T2 = 55
T1 = 25
55lb = 25eμ[itex]\pi[/itex]

By taking the natural log of both sides ln([itex]\frac{55}{25}[/itex]) = .788
Then dividing that by [itex]\pi[/itex] → μ = 0.251

Now using my coefficient:

T2 = ?
T1 = 80
T2 = 80e0.251*3[itex]\pi[/itex]

I'm getting an extremely unrealistic number for this, so I'm not sure where my errors are.

Where did the 80 come from. Shouldn't it be 55 lb? Also, what unrealistic number did you get?

Chestermiller said:
Where did the 80 come from. Shouldn't it be 55 lb? Also, what unrealistic number did you get?

Well the 80 came from the weight of the tire combined with the girl. 25lb + 55lb

I ended up, after putting it all in my calculator a few times, with a force of 900+. As I said, a completely unrealistic number to hold up a child+tire.

In the case of lifting the tire, the 55 lb force has to overcome the coefficient of friction in the rotational direction oriented from the 25 lb tire to 55 lb force. In the case of keeping the girl raised, the frictional force is acting in the opposite direction to keep the girl and tire from slipping downward. 80 exp(-3π(0.251)) = 7.5 lb.

I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide more context for the problem, such as the materials and surface involved in the rope and tree branch, as well as any other relevant variables. This will help to determine if the equation you are using is the most appropriate for the situation. It may also be beneficial to consider other factors that could affect the friction, such as the angle of the rope and the strength of the person lifting the weight. Conducting experiments or simulations may also provide more accurate results.

1. How do you calculate the friction force in this scenario?

The friction force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. In this scenario, the normal force is equal to the weight of the tire (25lb) and the coefficient of friction can be found using tables or experiments.

2. How do you determine the direction of the friction force?

The direction of the friction force is always opposite to the direction of motion or the attempted motion. In this scenario, since the tire is being lifted vertically, the friction force will act downwards.

3. Why is friction important to consider in this problem?

Friction is important to consider in this problem because it affects the amount of force needed to lift the tire. Without taking friction into account, the calculated force may not be enough to lift the tire and could result in injury or damage.

4. Is there a way to reduce the amount of friction in this situation?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the amount of friction. One way is to lubricate the surface between the rope and the tire. Another way is to use a material with a lower coefficient of friction, such as Teflon, between the rope and the tire.

5. Can you explain the significance of the weights used in this problem?

The weights used in this problem represent the normal force and the weight of the lifted object. The normal force is important because it determines the friction force, while the weight of the lifted object affects the amount of force needed to lift it. By using specific weights, we can accurately calculate the friction and lifting force needed in this scenario.