1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rope on a cylinder

1. Sep 18, 2004 #1
    WOULD SOME1 HELP ME WITH THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM I CANT SOLVE :
    a cat is wrapped around a fixed cylinder .theres friction between the rope and da cylinder with a coefficient of friction (mu) , the angle covered by the rope on the cylinder is (pi)/3 .assume a really thin rope. A cat is pulling on one end of the rope with a force F while 10 mice can just barely prevent from sliding by applying a total force of f . Find (mu) in function of F, f and the angle

i know the answer is has to do with an exponential

thanks

Manuel

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

belt friction equation

Due to static friction with the cylinder, the tension on the cat end of the rope will be greater than on the mouse end. The relationship between the two tensions, the angle of contact, and mu is given by the so-called "belt friction equation". You can derive it by consider a small element of rope and applying static equilibrium conditions. Then integrate this over the full angle of contact.

Yes, it is an exponential function. :smile:

4. Sep 18, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:surprised Poor thing!!

I like cats :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?