Discover the Height at Which a Rope Breaks in a 24m Building Swing

• Thread starter SoulBlazerz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, the question asks at what height the rope will break when a person swings from one 24 m tall building to another using a 24 m long rope. The rope can only handle twice the person's weight. The solution involves using conservation of energy and finding the tension in the rope at a certain angle using centripetal acceleration.
SoulBlazerz
Basically, there's a person standing on top of a 24 m tall building, and there's another 24 m tall building right beside the original building. The person is holding a 24 m long rope and is attempting to swing from the top of one building to the bottom of the other. The rope cannot take more tension then twice the person's weight, at what height does the rope break.

Note: The person begins swinging horizontally. I hope my explanation is clear, if not, then please tell me.

I'm not really sure how to tackle this question, I know it has something to do with conservation of energy, just not sure how to convert potential gravitational energy into something that can be used to determine the tension in the rope.

I'd appreciate any help :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to use conservation of energy... Try to find the tension when the rope has swung to a certain angle... use centripetal acceleration...

Hello,

I can provide some insights into this scenario. Firstly, it is important to note that the height at which the rope breaks will depend on several factors such as the weight of the person, the tension capacity of the rope, and the angle at which the person swings.

To approach this problem, we can use the principle of conservation of energy. Initially, the person standing on top of the building has potential gravitational energy due to their height above the ground. As they start swinging, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and at the bottom of the swing, all the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

Now, we know that the tension in the rope is directly related to the person's weight and the acceleration they experience during the swing. According to the given information, the rope can withstand tension up to twice the person's weight. We can use this information to calculate the maximum acceleration that the person can experience during the swing.

Once we have the acceleration, we can use the equation for kinetic energy to calculate the velocity of the person at the bottom of the swing. From there, we can use the equation for centripetal force to determine the tension in the rope at that point.

Finally, we can use this tension value to calculate the height at which the rope will break. This will depend on the tension capacity of the rope and the weight of the person.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. Keep in mind that there may be other factors at play, such as air resistance, which can affect the calculations. It would be best to conduct some experiments or simulations to get a more accurate answer.

1. What is the purpose of rope swinging?

Rope swinging is a recreational activity that involves swinging from a suspended rope. The purpose is usually for entertainment and thrill-seeking.

2. How do you safely perform a rope swing?

Safety is important when participating in rope swinging. Some tips for safely performing a rope swing include choosing a sturdy and secure rope, making sure the rope is not too high off the ground, and always using proper form and technique while swinging.

3. What muscles are used in rope swinging?

Rope swinging primarily uses the muscles in the arms, shoulders, and back. It also engages the core muscles for balance and stability.

4. Is rope swinging a dangerous activity?

Like any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury with rope swinging. However, with proper precautions and technique, the risk can be minimized. It is important to always use caution and assess the safety of the rope and swinging location.

5. Can rope swinging be a form of exercise?

Rope swinging can provide a good workout for the upper body and core muscles, as well as cardiovascular endurance. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole form of exercise and should be done in conjunction with a well-rounded fitness routine.