1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rope Swinging Question

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    Basically, there's a person standing on top of a 24 m tall building, and there's another 24 m tall building right beside the original building. The person is holding a 24 m long rope and is attempting to swing from the top of one building to the bottom of the other. The rope cannot take more tension then twice the person's weight, at what height does the rope break.

Note: The person begins swinging horizontally. I hope my explanation is clear, if not, then please tell me.

I'm not really sure how to tackle this question, I know it has something to do with conservation of energy, just not sure how to convert potential gravitational energy into something that can be used to determine the tension in the rope.

I'd appreciate any help :smile:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Yes, you need to use conservation of energy... Try to find the tension when the rope has swung to a certain angle... use centripetal acceleration...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?