What Is the Force of the Trout on the Carp in This Physics Problem?

In summary: The tension in the rope is not the only force acting on the trout. Gravity is also acting downwards. To find the tension in the rope, we must use the formula T = ma, where m is the mass of the trout and a is the acceleration of the whole system. In this case, a = 3.5333 m/s^2 and m = 3 kg. So T = 3 x 3.5333 = 10.6 N. This is the force required for the trout to achieve this acceleration. The force of the carp on the trout is equal to this, but in the opposite direction, so it is -10.6 N.
Grapz

Homework Statement

Jimmy has caught two fish in Yellow Creek. He has tied the line holding the 3.0 kg steelhead trout to the tail of the 1.5 kg carp. To show the fish to a friend, he lifts upward on the carp with a force of 60 N. What is the force of the trout on the carp?

Homework Equations

F_a on b = - F_b on a
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So i draw the free body diagrams. I draw one for the carp, and i have The applied force of 60 N upwards, and force of gravity and F_carp on trout both are downwards.

I do Fnet = 60 / 4.5 = a = 13.333

then i do Fnet for the trout = 60 - mg - F_carp on trout = 3(13.333)

I get that F_carp on trout is = -9.39

BUT i test my answer out by drawing the free body diagram for the carp. Which should have two forces on it, the force of the trout on the carp which is equal but opposite of F carp on trout, points upwards, and gravity pointing downards.

So i do Fnet carp = F_trout on carp - mg = 1.5 ( 13.333)

If i sub in the numbers, 9.39 - (1.5)(9.8), i don't end up with (1.5)(13.333)

Can someone tell me what id id wrong, thanks

EDIT: I think i know what's wrong, my fbd is wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, F= (m1 + m2)(g + a) , where F is the force with which the fisherman lifts up on the system and m1 & m2 are the masses of the carp and trout. Thus the acceleration of the whole system is given by a = F/(m1+m2) - g = 60/4.5 - 9.8 = 3.5333333 m/s^2.
The tension in the rope is then the force required for the trout to achieve this acceleration. Using F = ma, we get T = 3 x 3.533333 = 10.6 N , which is equal to the force of the carp on the trout. The force of the trout on the carp is just the opposite of this, -10.6 N.

i had trouble locating an exact error in your formulation, but i hope this helps.

Why is the acceleration of the whole system a = f / (m1 + m2) - g

i don't get the - g part :/

This is just a rearrangement of the formula F = m(g + a) , which is just a standard equation for the force required to accelerate a mass in a direction opposite gravity. In this case m is the combined mass of the two fish.
Step by step : F = m(g+a) ==> F/m = g+a ==> a = F/m - g

I see, can someone show me the free body diagram of the two fish?

i can draw up some quick schematics in paint if you like, but there should be an upward arrow representing the force with which the fisherman pulls upward, a downward arrow representing the weight of the two fish, and two equal and opposite arrows representing the forces the two fish exert on each other. The first arrow represents a force of 60 N; the second, 44.1 N (= weight of the fish); third and fourth = +/- 10.6 N.

ahhhh

thank you i get it noww

paradigm said:
The tension in the rope is then the force required for the trout to achieve this acceleration. Using F = ma, we get T = 3 x 3.533333 = 10.6 N , which is equal to the force of the carp on the trout. The force of the trout on the carp is just the opposite of this, -10.6 N.

I have another question :x. The acceleration of the whole system is 3.5333, that i agree. The calculation for T = 3x 3.5333 is the part i am not too sure about. Indeed the net force is 10.6 N. But i do not think tension is the only force acting on the trout. There has to be gravity acting downwards. So then it must be T - mg = 3x3.53333. So T = 3x.3.533333 + 3x9.8 = 40

so then tension is 40

Grapz said:
I have another question :x. The acceleration of the whole system is 3.5333, that i agree. The calculation for T = 3x 3.5333 is the part i am not too sure about. Indeed the net force is 10.6 N. But i do not think tension is the only force acting on the trout. There has to be gravity acting downwards. So then it must be T - mg = 3x3.53333. So T = 3x.3.533333 + 3x9.8 = 40

so then tension is 40
You are correct.

1. How does rope tension affect the movement of objects?

Rope tension is the force applied to a rope that keeps it taut. When an object is tied to a rope under tension, the tension force acts in the direction of the rope, preventing the object from moving in that direction. The amount of tension in the rope can also determine the speed and acceleration of the object's movement.

2. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object attached to the rope, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the strength and elasticity of the rope material. The length and thickness of the rope can also impact the tension.

3. How do you calculate the tension in a rope?

To calculate the tension in a rope, you need to know the weight of the object attached to the rope, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the strength and elasticity of the rope material. You can use trigonometric functions and equations to determine the tension force in the rope.

4. Can too much tension in a rope be dangerous?

Yes, excessive tension in a rope can be dangerous as it can cause the rope to break or snap, leading to injury or damage to the object or surrounding area. It is important to use the appropriate tension for the specific task and to regularly inspect and replace worn or damaged ropes.

5. How can rope tension be adjusted?

Rope tension can be adjusted by changing the angle at which the rope is pulled, using a different type of rope with different strength and elasticity, or adding or removing weight from the object attached to the rope. The tension can also be adjusted by using pulleys or other mechanical devices to distribute the weight and tension more evenly.