Rope tension no friction question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension needed for a rope to accelerate a 1050kg car horizontally at 1.20 m/s2, without taking into account friction. The correct calculation involves drawing a free-body diagram and applying Newton's second law in the x and y directions. The original attempt at solving the problem included the force of gravity, which was a mistake. The conversation ends with a thank you for responding, even though the expert did not provide a direct response to the question.
PearlyD

Homework Statement

How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1050kg car horizontally at 1.20 m/s2? IGNORE FRICTION!

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was
T-Fg=ma
T-mg=ma
T-1050(9.8)=1050(1.20)
T-10290=1260
T=1.15x10 to the power of 4
But that's not the answer the answer is 1.26x to the power of 3kg
What did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you including gravity? It's not as if you're lifting the car up.

Try drawing a free-body diagram and writing out Newton's second law TWICE, once for the y direction and once for the x direction.

ideasrule said:
Why are you including gravity? It's not as if you're lifting the car up.

Try drawing a free-body diagram and writing out Newton's second law TWICE, once for the y direction and once for the x direction.

Sorry i made a dumb mistake!
its been a long day and i was for some reason including gravity in a lot of things that i shouldn't
i got the question now.
thanks for replying anyways:)

1. What is the concept of "Rope tension no friction question"?

The "Rope tension no friction question" is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension in a rope when there is no friction present. It is often used to demonstrate the principles of static equilibrium and the relationship between tension and weight in a system.

2. How is this concept relevant in real life?

The concept of "Rope tension no friction question" is relevant in many real-life situations, such as determining the tension in cables supporting a bridge or calculating the force needed to lift an object with a pulley system. It also helps understand the stability of structures and the forces acting on them.

3. What are the key equations used to solve this problem?

The key equations used to solve the "Rope tension no friction question" include the equations for the sum of forces in the x and y directions, as well as the equations for the sum of torques. These equations involve the tension in the rope, the weight of the objects, and the distances between them.

4. How can one approach solving this problem?

To solve the "Rope tension no friction question", one can follow a systematic approach by first drawing a free-body diagram of the system, identifying all the forces acting on the objects, and setting up the equations for static equilibrium. Then, the values for the unknown variables can be substituted and solved using algebraic methods.

5. What are some common misconceptions about this concept?

Some common misconceptions about the "Rope tension no friction question" include assuming that the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the objects, or that the tension is the same at all points in the rope. It is important to remember that the tension in the rope varies depending on the weight and position of the objects, and the direction of the rope's tension can also change at different points.