Understanding Tension Force in a System of Connected Masses: A Guide

In summary, the conversation is about understanding tension and Newton's third law in a system of three masses connected by ropes. The force of tension, T3, is pulling all three masses and causing them to accelerate with the same magnitude. However, T1 and T2 are not equal to T3, as they are only pulling certain masses in the system. To find the acceleration of the system, one can use the formula F=ma, where F is the net force on the system and m is the total mass. This conversation also mentions the importance of considering Newton's third law when analyzing forces in a system.
missrikku
Hello again! I just wanted to make sure that I am understanding tension force. Okay, there are 3 masses (A, B, C) and they are connected by some massless and unstrectchable rope and they are pulled with a force of T3 = # N and they are pulled on a horizontal and frictionless table:

A---T1---B---T2---C----T3-->

Am I correct in thinking that T1 = T2 = T3 = # N (whatever value # is)? I think that the cord connected to C with force of T3 also pulls the other bodies, A and B, with the same magnitude of T3.

Also, since T3 is the magnitude of the force pulling all 3 of these bodies, can I combine the masses of the bodies and just use the value of T3 to figure out the acceleration of the system?

Ma + Mb + Mc = Msys
T1 = T2 = T3 = Tsys

F = ma
F = T = Msys(a)
a = T/Msys

Gracias!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, T1, T2, and T3 are not equal... It's show time for Newton's third law!

Newton's third law: If a body A excerts a force F to body B, then body B must exert a force F, opposite in direction, to body A. Examples:

1) If an electron excerts an attractive force to a proton, then we know from Newton's third law that the electron must also feel an attractive force excerted by the proton.

2) If I push the wall with a force of Z Newtons, the the wall also pushes me with the force of Z Newtons (heck, that's why my hands can feel the existence of the wall).

3) We know that the Earth excerts a gravitational force on a falling apple, so we can conclude (from Newton's third law) that the apple excerts the same amount of gravitational force on the Earth (If the Earth doesn't seem to move towards the apple, that's because Earth is very very heavy).

After you have faith in Newton's third law, let's go to your system... We'll start with A. Obviously A accelerates to the right. Let's say a force F1 causes this acceleration. Let's draw the force diagram for A:

A ---> (F1)

Who can probably give rise to this force? It must be B since A is connected to B by a rope. But by Newton's third law, If B excerts a force to A, then A must also exert a force to B. The force will be equal in magnitude, but in the opposite direction. Let's draw the force diagram for B:

(F1) <--- B

By Newton's third law, F1 must exist. But is that diagram complete? Wait a moment! If there is only F1 on B, then B must be accelerating to the left! That is not the case, so there must be another force that makes B accelerates to the right. The force must be greater than F1 (do you know why?). Let's make the correct force diagram:

(F1) <--- B ------> (F2)

Now, who can possibly exert F2? It must be C since C is connected to B by a rope. Without repeating the previous explanation, the force diagram for C is like this:

(F2) <------ C ---------> (F3)

Who can exert F3? It's no other than than the person/car/whatever pulling the system. Note that in our system, the rope is massless so it only serve to transfer force.

By your definition, F3 is # N (it would be a lot better if you use letters like a, b, and c instead of # for variables). And by the previous discussions, we know that
F2 is less than F3
F1 is less than F2

Note that we don't draw the gravitational and normal force in our diagram. Their sum is zero so it won't affect the motion of our masses.

Some equations to note is:

aC = (F3 - F2) / mC
aB = (F2 - F1) / mB
aA = F1 / mA

And aA = aB = aC (all the masses have the same acceleration!)

If we call the acceleration a, then it is also the case that:

a = F3 / (mA + mB + mC)

That is the case, since we can regard the three masses as one object (like you can regard A as an object. if A is a box, then A is actually composed of smaller mass components, right?). If we regard A, B, and C as an object O, then it's force diagram is simple like this:

O ---------> (F3)

Because the object O has the mass (mA + mB + mC), we can derive the previous equation.

Is my explanation helpful?

A question: what are the tension in the ropes?

May the force be with you (no pun intended)...

Wow! More than you ever wanted to know about Newton's third law :smile:.

missrikku : Here is my simple minded way of doing that problem:

A, B, and C are all pulled by force T3. That means that force T3 is acting on a total mass of (A+B+C) and, so, is accelerating them with acceleration (f/m) T3/(A+B+C). Force T2 is acting only on A and B. Since their mass is (A+B) but they are accelerating at T3/(A+B+C), force T2 must be (ma) T3(A+B)/(A+B+C). Force T1 is acting only on A. Since it is accelerating at T3/(A+B+C), T1 must be T3A/(A+B+C).

Another way to do this is to find that the joint acceleration of A,B,C is T3/(A+B+C) as above. Since C alone is accelerating with that acceleration, the NET force on it must be T3C/(A+B+C). We already know that T3 is pulling it one way. The force back the other way (T2) must be T3- T3C/(A+B+C)= (T3(A+B+C)- T3C)/(A+B+C)= T3(A+B)/(A+B+C) just as before.

You calculate T1 even easier: it is just enough to accelerate A at T3/(A+B+C).

wow! Thanks much! I think I asked about this before, but do you know of any books I could possibly check out at a library to help me understand physics better? I would like to practice more problems. Thank you!

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that is exerted when a string, cable, or rope is pulled tight. It is a pulling force that acts in the direction of the string or cable, and it is always perpendicular to the surface of the string.

2. How is tension force different from other types of forces?

Tension force is different from other types of forces because it is a contact force that can only exist when two objects are connected by a string, cable, or rope. Other types of forces, such as gravity and magnetic force, do not require direct contact between objects.

3. How does tension force affect a system of connected masses?

Tension force affects a system of connected masses by pulling on each individual mass in the system. This force is transmitted through the string or cable, causing all the masses to accelerate in the same direction. The magnitude of the tension force is equal throughout the entire string or cable.

4. How can tension force be calculated in a system of connected masses?

Tension force can be calculated by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In a system of connected masses, the tension force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration, as well as the mass of the object connected to it multiplied by its acceleration.

5. How can understanding tension force be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding tension force can be useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering and construction. Tension force is an important factor in determining the strength and stability of structures, such as bridges and buildings. It is also important in designing and operating pulley systems, elevators, and other mechanical systems that rely on tension force to function.