1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rope ties box and pulley

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box weighing 68 N rests on a table. A rope tied to the box runs vertically upward over a pulley and a weight is hung from the other end.Determine the force that the table exerts on the box when weight hanging on the other side of the pulley is 27N.

2. Relevant equations
    laws of motion

3. The attempt at a solution
    draw free body diagram, fillin law, mg=27n
    i have 2 divide mg by g to get m since the box does not move yet its accleration is 0 so mg = Fn? ?? except tension plays a role so how do i find Fn-Ft=mg?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
    My first concern is that you really should draw two free body diagrams: One for the black hanging off the table, and one for the box resting on the table. The tension force connects these diagrams, because it's present on both objects.

In this case, you're right in that there is no acceleration, so the NET force on each object must be zero. This should help you solve for the values of unknown forces (tension in the rope and the normal/support force from the table on the box).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?