Ropes and Pulleys - Dynamics

Homework Statement

An environmentally-sensitive daredevil wants to use a large mass, a rope, and a pulley to accelerate toward ramp while his motorcycle is in neutral, as shown below. If friction is negligible, what will the acceleration of the motorcycle be and the tension of the rope?

TvEAo.jpg

Homework Equations

guy: Ft = ma

weight: Ft - mg = ma

I think....

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get acceleration because I don't know Ft...

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Does the question want you to calculate his accelerate on the ramp, or before it? Either way, you can't calculate tension right off the bat. The net force is going to equal the force of gravity on the 950kg mass. Divide that force by the system mass and you should get the acceleration before the ramp.

Does the question want you to calculate his accelerate on the ramp, or before it? Either way, you can't calculate tension right off the bat. The net force is going to equal the force of gravity on the 950kg mass. Divide that force by the system mass and you should get the acceleration before the ramp.
I'm not sure, it just asks for acceleration, I still need help with this question.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Where does the 10 degrees come from? I don't see that in the question. If it's the slope of the ramp, that's not relevant. The question only asks you to consider circumstances before the ramp is reached, and nothing else is touching the ramp. The string is either horizontal or vertical.
The most obvious way to approach the question (not necessarily the most elegant) is to consider the weight and the motorcycle-with-rider as two separate systems but with certain parameters in common. Each has a set of forces and an acceleration. Which of these do they share? Can you write down the free body equation for each?

Where does the 10 degrees come from? I don't see that in the question. If it's the slope of the ramp, that's not relevant. The question only asks you to consider circumstances before the ramp is reached, and nothing else is touching the ramp. The string is either horizontal or vertical.
The most obvious way to approach the question (not necessarily the most elegant) is to consider the weight and the motorcycle-with-rider as two separate systems but with certain parameters in common. Each has a set of forces and an acceleration. Which of these do they share? Can you write down the free body equation for each?
Sorry! The 10 degrees came from a different question, I looked off the wrong question, I've fixed it now.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
guy: Ft = ma
weight: Ft - mg = ma
Using the same m for both masses is going to be confusing. Use a different name for each different variable.
Also, make sure you're measuring accelerations all in the same direction.