Solving Ropewalk Equations - Help from Niko

• Thread starter niko2000
  • Start date
In summary, Niko is seeking advice on how to write a mathematical model for a ropewalk using two first order differential equations. He explains the relationship between the angle and speed on the rope and is unsure about the correct mathematical form, specifically for the equation for the speed. He provides his illustration and asks for guidance on its accuracy.
niko2000
Hi,
I am trying to do a model for a ropewalk.
I would like to describe it with two first order differential equations. If we consider a person walking on a rope there are two quantities changing; the speed of a rope in horizontal direction and the angle of a person. I have to write this in a correct mathematical form. Any advice would be helpful.
Regards,
Niko

Physics news on Phys.org
If we think about the relations between quantities:
Let's look an angle between vertical line and the man on the rope and we assume equilibrium at x=0.
A=angle, v=speed on x direction, k and g are some coefficients
dA(t)/dt=k*A(t)-g*v(t)
My explanation:
If the angle is greater, the angle is changing faster and if the speed in x direction is greater, the angle is changing slower thus I put -.
If I try to write an equation for dv(t)/dt I have some problems:
dv(t)/dt=h*A(t)-g*v(t)
Explanation:
If the angle is greater we have to accelerate faster to gain balance and if the speed is greater we have to accelerate slower, because we already have some speed. But the problem is that the right sides of equations are same, so I'm not sure about my illustrations.

Hi Niko,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your ropewalk equations. It sounds like you have a clear understanding of the variables involved in your model. To write the equations in a correct mathematical form, you will need to use the appropriate mathematical notation and symbols.

First, let's define our variables. Let v represent the speed of the rope in the horizontal direction and θ represent the angle of the person walking on the rope. These variables will both change over time, so we can express them as functions of time, v(t) and θ(t).

Next, we need to consider the forces acting on the person and the rope. The person's weight and the tension in the rope will affect their movement. We can express these forces as Fp and Fr, respectively.

Using Newton's second law, we can write the equation for the horizontal motion of the person as Fp = m*d^2x/dt^2, where m is the mass of the person and dx/dt represents the acceleration in the horizontal direction. Since the person is walking on the rope, their motion is constrained to follow the rope's path, so we can write dx/dt = v(t). This gives us Fp = m*dv/dt.

Next, we need to consider the vertical motion of the person. The tension in the rope will affect their angle of inclination, θ. We can express this as Fr*sin(θ) = m*d^2y/dt^2, where dy/dt represents the vertical acceleration. Since the person is walking on the rope, their motion is constrained to follow the rope's path, so we can write dy/dt = v(t)*cos(θ). This gives us Fr*sin(θ) = m*v(t)*cos(θ)*dθ/dt.

Combining these two equations, we can write our system of first order differential equations as:
dv/dt = (Fp/m)
dθ/dt = (Fr*sin(θ))/(m*v(t)*cos(θ))

I hope this helps you get started with your ropewalk equations. If you need further clarification or assistance, don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your model!

1. What are Ropewalk Equations?

Ropewalk Equations are mathematical expressions used to model and solve problems related to the movement and tension of ropes.

2. How can Niko help with solving Ropewalk Equations?

Niko is a computer program designed specifically for solving Ropewalk Equations. It uses advanced algorithms and techniques to quickly and accurately solve complex equations.

3. What kind of problems can be solved using Ropewalk Equations?

Ropewalk Equations can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as determining the tension in a rope, finding the length of a hanging rope, or predicting the movement of a rope under different conditions.

4. Do I need to have a background in math to use Niko for Ropewalk Equations?

While a basic understanding of mathematical concepts is helpful, Niko is designed to be user-friendly and does not require extensive math knowledge. It can be used by scientists, engineers, and anyone else who needs to solve Ropewalk Equations.

5. Is Niko the only program available for solving Ropewalk Equations?

No, there are other programs and software available for solving Ropewalk Equations. However, Niko is specifically designed for this purpose and is often considered one of the best options due to its speed and accuracy.