Attending Rose-Hulman: Should I Confirm Acceptance?

• Thread starter jgg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and whether or not it is a good school to attend. Some people have heard of it and have been accepted, while others have concerns about the school's emphasis on undergraduate education and potential limitations for graduate school. The conversation also touches on the location and program offerings of the school.
jgg
In short: has anyone here attended RHIT?

Has anyone here heard of the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology? I applied as a joke since it was apparently (according to friends and US News World Report, mind you) an uber-difficult engineering school. I got an acceptance letter today and just started cracking up, since I have modest stats compared to most applying to a school that apparently shares app's with MIT (31 ACT and 3.9 GPA + lot's o' EC's), so I didn't really expect to make the 3000 person class. But I did, and they're asking for a $250 deposit to 'confirm' my acceptance (which seems scam-ish, but I called the school and it isn't). So, should I go ahead and confirm the acceptance and see what scholarship/financial aid I get? I've pretty much got a full ride down at a big state school here (University of Kentucky, which I refused to name in a different post...but oh well), albeit I'm not sure where all the money will come from (all merit/some merit some financial aid, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I got accepted and visited the college. It is small, the physics department seemed so-so, and was mainly interested in getting you hired as an engineer as soon as you graduated it seemed to me. Interesting area though, check it out if you are even modestly interested.

Honestly, I don't know why you would. Rose-Hulman is undergrads only, which means that you likely won't have the opportunity to do serious research and that getting into grad school will be difficult. You may not yet know whether you want to go to grad school or not, but why limit yourself at this point? I don't know, maybe I'm dead wrong and someone could enlighten us.

One of the best optical engineering programs out there, I'd put it in the top 3 in the country at the undergrad level. I'd hire anyone with a degree from the place.

@ TARSIER

I actually heard the area around it is horribly boring. From the people I've talked to, it does seem like they emphasize the idea of getting a BS and entering the work force.

@ Manchot

Yes, I understand that it is not only undergrad only, but also has an issue with allowing the credits you already earned to transfer to a grad school. I'm pretty sure I want to go to grad school. This was a huge turn-away for me.

@ Dr Transport

I'm not interesting in OE. Thanks though.

1. Should I confirm my acceptance to Rose-Hulman?

Yes, confirming your acceptance to Rose-Hulman is an important step in securing your spot at the university. It shows your commitment to attending and allows the school to plan for your arrival.

2. What happens if I confirm my acceptance and then change my mind?

If you confirm your acceptance but later decide not to attend Rose-Hulman, you should notify the admissions office as soon as possible. They may require you to pay a deposit or withdraw your application entirely.

3. Is there a deadline for confirming my acceptance?

Yes, there is typically a deadline for confirming your acceptance to Rose-Hulman. This deadline is usually stated in your acceptance letter or on the school's website. It is important to confirm by this deadline to secure your spot at the university.

4. Will confirming my acceptance affect my financial aid package?

No, confirming your acceptance to Rose-Hulman will not affect your financial aid package. However, if you have received a merit scholarship, you may need to confirm your acceptance by a certain deadline to be eligible for the scholarship.

5. Can I confirm my acceptance to Rose-Hulman and another university?

Yes, you can confirm your acceptance to multiple universities. However, you will eventually need to make a final decision and withdraw your acceptance from any schools you will not be attending. It is important to keep the other schools informed of your decision so they can offer your spot to another student.