1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roshe theorem questiom.

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    find the number of roots on the right side of the field
    for
    [tex]f(z)=z^6+7z^4-3z^2+z+1[/tex]

??

usually i have stuff like 1<|z|<4

but here instead they say "on the right side of the field"
    meaning on the right frim the imaginary axes

i cant interpret it into a circles like i am use to

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2
    First, just plot the roots using Mathematica:

Code (Text):
    myeqn = z^6 + 7 z^4 - 3 z^2 + z - 1;
    myzeros = N[z /. Solve[myeqn == 0, z]]
    mypoints = Point @@ {{Re[#], Im[#]} & /@ myzeros}
    Show[{Graphics[{{Red, PointSize[0.01], mypoints},
        Circle[{0, 0}, 1]}]}, PlotRange -> {{-5, 5}, {-5, 5}},
     Axes -> True]

Not doing that to act smart. I think it's crucial to learn Mathematica and use it in your math education. So we know where they are. Now prove it using the Argument Principle:

First, what would happen if I just plug in the value [itex]ai[/itex] for real a into that expression. Will it ever be zero? Next consider the change in argument of

[tex]f(z)=z^6+7z^4-3z^2+z-1=z^6\left(1+7/z^2-3/z^4+1/z^5-1/z^6\right)[/tex]

along the closed half-circle contour in the right half-plane and allow R to go to infinity. Where do you start with such a thing? Well, [itex]\arg(zw)=\arg(z)+\arg(w)[/itex] so that as R goes to infinity, how will the argument change for [itex]z^6[/itex] along the curved part of the half-circle from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex], around to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]? You can do that. And as R goes to infinity, how will the argument change for that other expression as you go around the half-circle? Finally, how will the argument change from the point say [itex]f(a i)[/itex] down the imaginary axis, to the point [itex]f(-ai)[/itex] as a goes to infinity? Now, does your work with the Argument Principle agree with the plot above?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook