Rossby Wave Problem

• Thread starter Zythryn
  • Start date
Summary:: Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.

Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Summary:: Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.

Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Per the PF rules (see INFO at the top of the page), schoolwork type threads usually need to go in the Homework Help forums, and you need to show your best efforts to start working the problem. The one exception to that rule is if the problem is advanced enough and if you show lots of work in your opening post, those threads can sometimes be left in the technical forums.

Can you show your work to start on this problem? It is best if you look over the LaTeX Guide link in the lower left of the Edit window, so that you can post the equations in a legible forum to show your work. Thank you.

Likes Zythryn
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Per the PF rules (see INFO at the top of the page), schoolwork type threads usually need to go in the Homework Help forums, and you need to show your best efforts to start working the problem. The one exception to that rule is if the problem is advanced enough and if you show lots of work in your opening post, those threads can sometimes be left in the technical forums.

Can you show your work to start on this problem? It is best if you look over the LaTeX Guide link in the lower left of the Edit window, so that you can post the equations in a legible forum to show your work. Thank you.
1606866975202.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response, I started the problem to try to get it match what zeta is asking for. However, trying to derive the initial equation by d/dy d/dx or d/dt gets me nowhere close to what I want.

berkeman
Mentor
Thanks for the response, I started the problem to try to get it match what zeta is asking for. However, trying to derive the initial equation by d/dy d/dx or d/dt gets me nowhere close to what I want.
I tried to add a screenshot of your hand-written work, but it didn't come out so well. You really need to learn to use LaTeX to post your work on internet forums (and for publications later, if you go that route).

I'll go ahead and move this thread to the calculus schoolwork forum, to hopefully get you better views than in the Earth forum.

berkeman
Mentor
Also, can you please post the "Relevant Equations" to define some of the quantities that we probably are not familiar with in this area of science? Thanks.

1606867304827.png