Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rossby waves

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    Rossby waves in the atmosphere spawn vortices which are low pressure areas.

Is it possible that the Rossby waves in the ocean spawn vortices? If so, how big might they be?

Something tells me that I'm not going to get an answer to this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Understanding very little of that topic I nevertheless dare to express some thoughts on it:
    In atmosphere the creation of cyclones is due to smaller scale turbulences being embedded in the Rossby waves. I suppose that the oceanic circulations are much less turbulent on comparable length scales as the Reynolds numbers are much lower due to the higher viscosity of water as compared to air.

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    Yes, see

Oceanography by Summerhayes and Thorpe, p67

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    I'm watching for systems 1000 miles in diameter. Often they become stationary and all hell breaks loose. When they become stationary, there is often a Rossby Wave associated with the system. Which comes first: the Rossby Wave, the Super System, the temp/inverted Troposphere, an abnormal stationary updraft?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook