Determining Maximum Angular Velocity and Slip Time for Object on Turntable

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum angular velocity an object can have while remaining stationary on a turntable, using the given values for radius, mass, and coefficient of static friction. To solve for this, the formula for force of static friction is used and the condition v^2/r <= g*mu_static is set. For the second part, the turntable starts from rest and has a constant angular acceleration. To find the time at which the object begins to slip, the equation a = alpha*t is used, and the resulting velocity is plugged into the previous condition to solve for time.
Sakura91

Homework Statement

An object is placed on a turntable with a radius of 21.5 cm. The object's mass is 67.5 g. The coefficient of static friction between the two is .32. It asks to find the maximum angular velocity the object can have while remaining stationary relative to the turntable in radians per second.

The second part says that the turntable starts from rest at t = 0, and it has a constant angular acceleration of 3.82 rad/s^2. It asks at what time will the object begin to slip.

Please help!

Homework Equations

Force of static friction = m*g*mu_static
Centripetal, or radial, acceleration = v^2/r
v = sqrt(r*g*mu_static)

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea is that up to a certain velocity, the static friction force should prevent the object from moving outside of the circular trajectory. So, I set v^2/r <= g*mu_static, and solved for v, which is about .82112 m/s. The reason why I went with radial acceleration was because I know that the overall centripetal acceleration will combat against friction's acceleration and force, and I know that the magnitude of that acceleration is sqrt(a_radial^2 + a_tangential^2). I'm having a hard time establishing relationships because it's hard for me to visualize what is affecting what.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second part, I'm not sure how to approach this. I know that a = alpha*t, but am not sure how to apply it here. I'm thinking that I need to integrate the acceleration with respect to time to find the velocity, and then plug in the velocity into the equation v^2/r <= g*mu_static, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Any help is really appreciated!

1. What is rotary motion with friction?

Rotary motion with friction is when an object rotates around a fixed axis while experiencing a resistive force, known as friction, that opposes the motion.

2. How does friction affect rotary motion?

Friction can cause a decrease in the speed of the rotating object as well as a change in its direction of motion. It also causes the object to generate heat due to the resistance it creates.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in rotary motion?

The amount of friction in rotary motion can be affected by the surface materials of the object and the axis, as well as the force and speed of the rotation. The roughness and temperature of the surfaces also play a role in the amount of friction.

4. How can friction be minimized in rotary motion?

Friction can be minimized in rotary motion by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces of the rotating object and the axis. Reducing the force and speed of the rotation can also help minimize friction.

5. What are the applications of rotary motion with friction?

Rotary motion with friction is essential in many everyday devices and machines, such as cars, bicycles, and gears. It is also important in the study of physics and engineering, as it helps explain the behavior of rotating objects in real-world scenarios.