Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotary transformer

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    If I have a rotary transformer in order to transfer some current o or from a rotating part, I wonder doesnt it add some extra power induced from the rotational motion to the secondary side of the transformer , since atleast one part of it is rotating with respect to other.?

Like for example I supply an AC source of energy X to the stationary primary , and on the secondary which for example is on the rotating part I now get out the X supplied from the source to the primary + whatever energy the rotating part had?

Or does this is dependant on the way the transformer is wound (coil , core angles etc) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would think it would depend on the construction. Can you post pictures or drawings of the rotary transformer you intend to use? Are you transferring just information, or are you transferring power too?

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    well i dont have a particular design in mind , I was interested to this as more of a general question, in this particular case I was interested in power rather than signal transfer.

mayeb two more specific question if I may. Firstly I wonder what would happen if I had a toroidal transformer and supplied some power and waveform X to the primary and then to addition to that spun the transformer core itself (cant be done physically but just for thought) , what would result in the secondary , would there be the power X +whatever was added from the core or just X? This is kinda rotary transformer related I guess.

secondly I was thinking could a rotary transformer be used instead of brushes for a device that has a changing magnetic field in it's rotor , like a DC generator , or more specifically in a faraday disc which spins in a AC induced field for example?

5. May 1, 2015 #4
    Bump...

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook