Rotary Vane Engines: Advantages & Disadvantages

In summary, the vanes of a rotary vane engine may experience considerable stress, but it can be designed to handle such loads. The concept is similar to that used in air compressors and has low friction, but may face potential issues with tip seals. While the technology to build such an engine exists, it may not be economically viable.
chhitiz
are the 'vanes' of a rotary vane engine a major disadvantage? granted that the vanes would be under considerable stress, but is it so much larger than the stress on connecting rod in reciprocating engines? and is sliding friction on sides very high compared to pistons? also, is sealing a major issue?
if u r looking fr references, www.rotatorque.com

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is "considerable stress?" An engineer determines his loads, and then designs for them.

I've seen this same concept used in air compressors. Works very well with little maintenance. Friction is low, but increases with rpm.

The only potential problem that pops out at me is the same as what Mazda had when they first introduced their rotary engine. Though engine design is much different, the tip seals are similar. They developed a resonance problem and would bounce off the wall, but that is fixed easily enough in the design.

by 'considerable stress'i meant that the load can't be handled by existing materials technology

I'm not so sure that we don't have the ability to build such an engine. Certainly, it would require a full scale engineering development program; but if we can build a gas turbine with turbine inlet temperatures at 3600 degrees F, we can build this little motor. I have serious doubts that it would be ecconomically viable, though.

What is a rotary vane engine?

A rotary vane engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses rotating vanes or blades to compress air and fuel, resulting in combustion and the production of power.

What are the advantages of a rotary vane engine?

Some advantages of a rotary vane engine include its compact size, low vibration and noise levels, and its ability to operate at high speeds. It also has a simple design with fewer moving parts, making it more reliable and easier to maintain.

What are the disadvantages of a rotary vane engine?

One major disadvantage of a rotary vane engine is its lower efficiency compared to other types of engines. It also requires a high amount of lubrication and can be prone to wear and tear due to the constant contact between the vanes and the housing. Additionally, it may not be suitable for high torque applications.

How does a rotary vane engine work?

A rotary vane engine works by using a cylindrical rotor with vanes attached to it. As the rotor rotates, the vanes slide in and out of slots in the housing, creating chambers of varying sizes. This movement forces air and fuel into the chambers, which are then compressed and ignited, producing power.

What are the uses of a rotary vane engine?

Rotary vane engines are commonly used in small aircraft, generators, and industrial equipment. They can also be found in some cars, motorcycles, and boats. Additionally, they are used in some heating and cooling systems, as well as in some pumping applications.