Rotary Vane Pump Seals: Benefits, Types & Friction

In summary, The conversation discusses the differences between modern vane pumps and older versions in terms of contact area, friction, and seal types. The use of rotating face mechanical seals is mentioned, with a suggestion for non-contact sealing using a sketch attached. The speaker also mentions using Wikipedia as a source for information on these pumps.
kandelabr
hi,
i've read somewhere that modern vane pumps' vanes have an area of contact on the housing and the older versions had line contact. does anyone know how this is achieved? why is this better? how is this connected with friction? what types of seals are used, rubber or synthetic?
any thought is welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's some basic information and terminology to get your searching started. Keep in mind that the applications and operating conditions of these pumps is hugely diverse, so seal type, material, number of seals, etc varies quite a bit as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_face_mechanical_seal

wikipedia is be the first place i seek any information.
you can be sure I've noticed that article.

anything else to be told about seals?

oh I've made a mistake:
"...used, rubber or synthetic?..."
i meant rubber or metal (hard seals).

i also have an idea for non-contact sealing, but don't know how to evaluate it - there's a sketch attached. the moving surface is floating just above pump housing (distance between vane end and housing is drawn exaggerated) and supported by two steel wheels (that is, as little friction as possible). when oil would be present, i guess the liquid would seal the gap like I've drawn.
i guess.

any comments?

Attachments

• slika2.jpg
    slika2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 521

What is a rotary vane pump seal?

A rotary vane pump seal is a mechanical seal used to prevent leakage and maintain pressure within a rotary vane pump. It is typically located between the rotating shaft and the pump housing, and works by creating a tight seal between the two components.

What are the benefits of using a rotary vane pump seal?

The benefits of using a rotary vane pump seal include preventing leakage, reducing friction and wear on the pump components, and maintaining the efficiency and longevity of the pump. Additionally, it helps to maintain a clean and safe working environment by preventing any hazardous or toxic substances from leaking out of the pump.

What are the different types of rotary vane pump seals?

The most common types of rotary vane pump seals include lip seals, mechanical seals, and labyrinth seals. Lip seals are simple and cost-effective, but may not be suitable for high-pressure applications. Mechanical seals offer a more secure and reliable seal, but are more complex and expensive. Labyrinth seals use a series of grooves and channels to create a barrier against leakage.

How does friction affect the performance of a rotary vane pump seal?

Friction can greatly impact the performance of a rotary vane pump seal. If there is too much friction between the seal and the pump components, it can lead to increased wear and tear, decreased efficiency, and potential leakage. Proper lubrication and regular maintenance can help reduce friction and optimize the performance of the seal.

What factors should be considered when selecting a rotary vane pump seal?

When selecting a rotary vane pump seal, factors such as the type of fluid being pumped, pressure and temperature requirements, and the speed of the pump should be taken into consideration. It is important to choose a seal that can withstand the specific conditions it will be exposed to in order to ensure optimal performance and longevity.