1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotate about an axis

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]A = (1,1,-2)[/tex]
    [tex]C = (0,1,-5)[/tex]
    (in cartesian coordinates)
    Let A and C be drawn from a common origin and let C rotate about A with an angular velocity of 2 rad/s. Find the velocity of the head of C.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]v = w x r[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    w = 2 rad/s
    I know I have to take the cross product of w and C (w x C = v) but I am having problems making w as a vector. Initially I thought I would use cylindrical coords and say that it's moving in the phi direction, unfortunately I don't know if that assumption is correct.
    Can anyone give me a pointer on how I should begin to write w as a vector?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    If by w you mean [itex]\omega[/itex], the angular velocity, then the direction of omega is always perpendicular on the plane of the speed v. Use the right-hand-rule: If you curl your fingers in the direction of v, then the thumb (stretched out) is the direction of omega.

For example, the direction of omega for the hands of a clock (assuming they move with constant speed instead of in little jumps) would be into the clock.

4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Omega points along the axis of rotation. It makes sense if you think about what the cross product does and the relation between omega, r and v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?