Finding Rotational Inertia with Thin Rod: Explanation and Example

• Thread starter pirates01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and is represented by the symbol I and has units of kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²). Factors that affect rotational inertia include the mass of the object, the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, and the shape of the object. Rotational inertia is important because it helps us understand how objects move and behave when rotating, and is essential in practical applications such as designing machines and calculating the stability of structures. It differs from linear inertia in that it applies to objects rotating around
pirates01

Homework Statement

How do I find Rotational inertia of this?http://yfrog.com/e4asdfasdfasdfj. Assumed thin rod (ignore r).

Homework Equations

I=1/12 M L2

The Attempt at a Solution

Cause that equation applies if the rotation axis is at the center, so I doubled d (and got like (2d)2 and (4d)2) and used the equation, but I ended up with something like 5/3Md2, but the answer at the back says its 8/3Md2.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the rotational inertia about the center of mass, use the parallel axis theorem to find the rotational inertia about the end.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution and shape of an object.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol I and has units of kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²).

3. What factors affect rotational inertia?

The factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object, the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, and the shape of the object. Objects with larger masses and farther distances from the axis of rotation have a higher rotational inertia.

4. Why is rotational inertia important?

Rotational inertia is important because it helps us understand how objects move and behave when rotating. It is also essential in many practical applications, such as designing machines and calculating the stability of structures.

5. How does rotational inertia differ from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia and linear inertia are both measures of an object's resistance to change in motion. However, rotational inertia applies to objects rotating around an axis, while linear inertia applies to objects moving in a straight line. Additionally, rotational inertia depends on the object's shape, while linear inertia does not.