Understanding Dumbbell Rotation: Laws and Material Constants

• Thread starter Antti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary: However, I think that the equation is only applicable for small angles.In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation of a dumbbell and the potential torsion-spring effect in the middle bar when torque is applied to one end. It is mentioned that the material of the middle bar may affect the rotation and there is a question about how to calculate this effect using material constants and dimensions of the object. A potential solution is suggested as the torsion-spring equation, but it may only be applicable for small angles.
Antti
I just thought about a dumbbell (for some reason) and how one end rotates if I turn the other. If it was just a "mathematical system" with two flat cylinders and a long cylinder in between, then one end would rotate in exactly the same way as the other. But if the middle bar was rubber for example, then the rotation would be delayed in the other end. Now, is there some law describing the motion [tex]\theta(t)[/tex] of the other end if I know [tex]\tau(t)[/tex] (torque as function of time) of the first end. That is, if I also know the length of the middle bar and what it is made of? What material constants come into play? Could I model the bar with a simple spring instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
Hi Antti! :smile:

(nobody else has replied, so: )

Does this help … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_spring? :smile:
Well no. Say I had a dumbbell made entirely of Copper and I knew the exact shape of the whole thing. Then I'm thinking there should be some torsion-spring effect, though small, in the middle bar when I apply a torque to one end. No materials are perfectly rigid. How do you calculate this from the dimensions of the object and some (which?) material constants?

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_(mechanics)" , which gives the spring constant ([itex]L/JG[/itex]) of a beam under torsion.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of rotating a dumbbell from one end?

Rotating a dumbbell from one end is a great way to engage different muscles in your arms and shoulders. It also helps to improve grip strength and balance.

How do I properly rotate a dumbbell from one end?

To properly rotate a dumbbell from one end, hold the dumbbell at one end with your palm facing up. Slowly rotate your wrist and forearm until your palm is facing down. Then, rotate back to the starting position. Repeat for desired number of reps.

Can rotating a dumbbell from one end cause injury?

If done with proper form and control, rotating a dumbbell from one end should not cause injury. However, if you experience any discomfort or pain, it is important to stop and consult a professional.

Is rotating a dumbbell from one end only beneficial for certain exercises?

No, rotating a dumbbell from one end can be beneficial for a variety of exercises, including bicep curls, shoulder presses, and tricep extensions. It can also be incorporated into full body exercises, such as lunges or squats.

How can I incorporate rotating a dumbbell from one end into my workout routine?

You can incorporate rotating a dumbbell from one end into your workout routine by including it in your arm or full body workouts. Start with a light weight and gradually increase as you become more comfortable with the movement. It is also important to vary the direction of the rotation (palm up to palm down, and vice versa) to engage different muscles.