How to Rotate a Standard Cell to Align a Specific Plane with [001]?

In summary, the conversation discusses rotating a standard cell to align a defined plane with the [001] plane in the rotated cell. The goal is to keep the same unit cell and just rotate the atomic positions. The suggested solution is using a linear transformation matrix.
dipole
Hi, I have a standard cell which I would like to rotate. I would like to rotate it in such a way such that when I define some plane in the unrotated cell [hkl] that this same plane corresponds to the [001] plane in the rotated cell. I essentially want to keep the same unit cell, just rotate the atomic positions inside it so the cleavage plane I have defined corresponds to the face of the cell.

How could I go about doing this? Any help, even just a link to more info is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a standard cell and why is it important for rotating experiments?

A standard cell is a type of electrochemical cell that contains a known and stable voltage. It is important for rotating experiments because it allows for accurate and precise measurements of potential differences.

2. How does rotating a standard cell affect the results of an experiment?

Rotating a standard cell allows for better mixing and homogeneity of the electrolyte solution, which can result in more reliable and reproducible results. It also helps to minimize concentration gradients and surface effects.

3. Can any type of standard cell be used for rotating experiments?

No, not all types of standard cells are suitable for rotating experiments. The standard cell must have a stable and known voltage, as well as a design that allows for rotation without compromising the integrity of the cell.

4. Is there a specific speed at which a standard cell should be rotated?

The optimal rotation speed for a standard cell may vary depending on the specific experiment and the type of standard cell being used. Generally, speeds between 500-2000 rpm are recommended for most applications.

5. Are there any limitations to rotating a standard cell?

Yes, there are some limitations to rotating a standard cell. The rotation speed should not be too high, as it can cause excessive heating and affect the stability of the cell. Additionally, certain types of cells may not be suitable for rotation due to their design or materials used.