1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating Bar problem

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    Ok so Im given a rigid bar, with length L. There is a point P right at the bottom of the bar which is moved at a constant speed V along the floor. The bar rests on a step of height L/2. I have to determine the rate of change of theta with respect to theta (angular velocity with respect to theta). This would only apply for theta bigger than 30 degrees and less than 90 degrees because the bar would otherwise be vertical or fallen off the step. C is the center of the bar.

Picture:
    [PLAIN]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5905/problems.png [Broken]

I have no idea where to start, can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Find the relationship between the angle and the distance of point P from the step.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    ah hang on, made a mistake

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. Sep 2, 2010 #4
    op i got it, thank you so much doc al. I dont understand why i didnt think of that in the first place...my immediate idea was to start using formulas for two body problems -.-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook