Rotating beam in magnetic field.

In summary, the discussion revolves around a beam of length L rotating with frequency f about one of its endpoints in a constant magnetic field B. The main questions are about the induced electric field and voltage in the beam and the applicability of Faraday's law and the Lorentz force equation in this scenario. One suggestion is to consider an elementary segment of the beam as a Faraday loop to find the induced electric field. However, the concern is that there is no change in the magnetic flux through this loop. It is also mentioned that the beam is conducting, which may have an effect on the problem.
center o bass

Homework Statement

We have a beam of length L which is rotating with frequency f about one of its endbpoints in a constant magnetic field B, normal to the rotationplane of the beam.

a) How big is the induced electric field in the beam?
b) How big is the induced voltage between the endpoints of the beam?
c) Repeat the calculation if the beam is rotating about it's midpoint with the same frequency.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dl} = - \frac{d\phi _B}{dt}[/tex]
Is Faraday's law even applicable here? I don't see how i can form a convenient loop
and I don't see that there will be any flux-change since B is uniform in the plane of rotation.

[tex]F = q(\vec{v} \times \vec{B}[tex]
Lorent'z force equation seems a bit more promising, but I'm not really sure how to apply it properly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck here. I don't see how to use Faraday's law since I don't see any flux-change in the problem.

Lorentz I guess lorentz force law could be used to find the work done on the charges in the beam, but since it is only a beam the charges will not go trough any loop, so the work on the charges would depend on what distance from the end of the beam the charges are located.

Need some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you want get it through Faraday's law, you can definitely find a loop for it.
Say for example you consider some segment of the beam at a distance 'x' from the point of rotation, then the elementary charge in this segment covers a circular path with radius 'x', which is your Faraday's loop!
Then you get your induced electric field for that elementary segment, and hence can integrate it to find the answer!

But then where is the magnetic fluxchange trough that loop? The way I see it, that elementary charge would act like a current loop with radius x. But I still don't see that we have any change in the Bfield.

so then [tex]\oint \vec{E}\cdot \vec{dl} = 0[/tex] anyhow.

I did however forget to mention that the beam was conducting! Does this have any effet on the problem?

1. What is a rotating beam in a magnetic field?

A rotating beam in a magnetic field is a physical phenomenon where a beam, typically made of charged particles, rotates when placed in a magnetic field. This rotation is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the charged particles.

2. How does a rotating beam in a magnetic field work?

A rotating beam in a magnetic field works due to the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle by an external magnetic field. This force causes the charged particles in the beam to experience a torque, resulting in the rotation of the beam.

3. What factors affect the rotation of a beam in a magnetic field?

The rotation of a beam in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particles in the beam, and the velocity of the particles. Additionally, the angle at which the beam is introduced to the magnetic field and the shape and size of the beam can also impact the rotation.

4. What are the applications of a rotating beam in a magnetic field?

A rotating beam in a magnetic field has various applications in science and technology. It is commonly used in particle accelerators to manipulate and control the trajectory of charged particles. It is also used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines.

5. How is a rotating beam in a magnetic field different from a stationary beam?

A rotating beam in a magnetic field differs from a stationary beam in that it experiences a rotational motion due to the magnetic field. This rotation is not present in a stationary beam. Additionally, the energy and momentum of a rotating beam are constantly changing, while those of a stationary beam remain constant.