Max EMF in a Model AC Generator Coil

In summary: just think of ωt as the frequency of the emf and it will be equal to the omega (3/2) of the t that produces the maximum emf.
mydoghenry

Homework Statement

In a model ac generator, a 500 turn rectangular coil, 8.0 cm by 20 cm, rotates at 120 rev/min in a uniform magnetic field of 0.60 T.

(a) What is the maximum emf induced in the coil?
(b) What is the instantaneous value of the emf in the coil at t = (∏/32)s? Assume that the emf is zero at t = 0.
(c) What is the smallest value of t for which the emf will have its maximum value?

Homework Equations

εmax=NBAω
ε=εmaxsinωt

The Attempt at a Solution

I easily understand part a and b (below):
(a)
Area=0.08x0.20=0.016 m2
120rev/min = 12.56 rad/s

εmax=NBAω
εmax=500(0.60)(0.016)ω
εmax=60.28V

(b)
ε=εmaxsinωt
ε=60.28sin(12.56∏/32)
ε=56.87V

(c)
Part c is where I am totally confused. We did this problem in class, so I will show you what my teacher came up with and explain why I don't understand.

ε=εmaxsinωt
ωt=∏/2 --> ε=εmax
12.56t=∏/2
t=∏/2(12.56)=0.125 s

I do not understand where/how my teacher came up with ωt=∏/2. Why are we dividing pi by 2? And how do we know this is equal to ωt? Are we just supposed to know this equation? Is it a common physics rule? I want to know the "why" behind it and not just memorize that equation so I can apply it to other situations. For instance, what if we're asked what the largest value of t for which the emf will have it's maximum value?" Then it wouldn't still be pi over 2?

I have a test Thursday and have been wracking my brain trying to figure out why or how he came up with part c. I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you so much! :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mydoghenry! :smile:
mydoghenry said:
ε=εmaxsinωt
ωt=∏/2 --> ε=εmaxsinωt

I do not understand where/how my teacher came up with ωt=∏/2.

the maximum value of sin (= 1) is when the angle is π/2 :wink:

Thank you so very, very much. It makes sense now. I must have missed the day in class when we learned ∏/2 is the radian form of 90°.

Do you think there's any other way for that question to be asked? For instance, What is the smallest value of t for which the emf will have its minimum value? In this case would it be sin180 (aka sin∏) which I guess is zero. So, maybe there's only one way he'd ask this question.

mydoghenry said:
So, maybe there's only one way he'd ask this question.

yes …

he's really not trying to trick you! :smile:

Hello,

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept behind the equation ωt = π/2. This equation represents the angle at which the maximum emf occurs in the coil. In other words, at this angle, the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, resulting in the maximum change in flux and therefore the maximum induced emf.

To understand this concept, let's take a look at the diagram below:

![AC Generator Coil Diagram](https://i.imgur.com/3j5Iv9p.png)

As the coil rotates in the magnetic field, it experiences a change in flux due to the varying angle between the coil and the magnetic field. At t = 0, the coil is parallel to the magnetic field, resulting in no change in flux and therefore no induced emf. As the coil rotates, it reaches a point where it is perpendicular to the magnetic field, resulting in the maximum change in flux and therefore the maximum induced emf. This is represented by the angle π/2 in the diagram.

To understand why we divide π by 2, we need to look at the definition of angular velocity, which is ω = Δθ/Δt. In this case, Δθ represents the angle the coil rotates and Δt represents the time taken for the coil to rotate that angle. At the angle π/2, the coil has rotated one-quarter of a revolution, which is equivalent to π/2 radians. Therefore, ωt = π/2 represents the time taken for the coil to rotate one-quarter of a revolution, which is when the maximum emf is induced.

In summary, the equation ωt = π/2 represents the angle at which the maximum emf occurs in the coil, which is when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field. This equation is derived from the definition of angular velocity and the concept of change in flux. It is important to understand this concept rather than just memorizing the equation.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Best of luck on your test!

1. What is the maximum EMF in a model AC generator coil?

The maximum EMF (electromotive force) in a model AC generator coil is determined by the speed of rotation of the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field. It can be calculated using the formula: EMF = 2πfNBAcosθ, where f is the frequency of rotation, N is the number of turns, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and A is the area of the coil.

2. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the maximum EMF?

The number of turns in a coil has a direct impact on the maximum EMF in a model AC generator coil. As the number of turns increases, the EMF also increases. This is because an increase in the number of turns leads to a higher magnetic field strength and a larger area, resulting in a higher EMF according to the formula mentioned above.

3. Why does the speed of rotation affect the maximum EMF?

The speed of rotation affects the maximum EMF in a model AC generator coil because it determines the frequency of rotation, which is a key variable in the EMF formula. A higher speed of rotation results in a higher frequency, leading to a higher EMF. This is why faster rotation speeds are used in power plants to generate higher amounts of electricity.

4. What is the role of the magnetic field in determining the maximum EMF?

The strength of the magnetic field is a crucial factor in determining the maximum EMF in a model AC generator coil. A stronger magnetic field results in a higher EMF, as shown in the EMF formula. This is why powerful magnets are used in generators to produce larger amounts of electricity.

5. How can the maximum EMF be increased in a model AC generator coil?

The maximum EMF in a model AC generator coil can be increased by increasing the speed of rotation, the number of turns in the coil, or the strength of the magnetic field. However, there are limits to how much these variables can be increased before other factors, such as heat and mechanical stress, become problematic. Therefore, it is important to carefully balance these variables to achieve the desired maximum EMF without causing damage to the generator.