1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating coil in a model ac generator. Finding smallest value of time for maximum emf

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a model ac generator, a 500 turn rectangular coil, 8.0 cm by 20 cm, rotates at 120 rev/min in a uniform magnetic field of 0.60 T.

(a) What is the maximum emf induced in the coil?
    (b) What is the instantaneous value of the emf in the coil at t = (∏/32)s? Assume that the emf is zero at t = 0.
    (c) What is the smallest value of t for which the emf will have its maximum value?

2. Relevant equations
    εmax=NBAω
    ε=εmaxsinωt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I easily understand part a and b (below):
    (a)
    Area=0.08x0.20=0.016 m2
    120rev/min = 12.56 rad/s

εmax=NBAω
    εmax=500(0.60)(0.016)ω
    εmax=60.28V

(b)
    ε=εmaxsinωt
    ε=60.28sin(12.56∏/32)
    ε=56.87V

(c)
    Part c is where I am totally confused. We did this problem in class, so I will show you what my teacher came up with and explain why I don't understand.

ε=εmaxsinωt
    ωt=∏/2 --> ε=εmax
    12.56t=∏/2
    t=∏/2(12.56)=0.125 s

I do not understand where/how my teacher came up with ωt=∏/2. Why are we dividing pi by 2? And how do we know this is equal to ωt? Are we just supposed to know this equation? Is it a common physics rule? I want to know the "why" behind it and not just memorize that equation so I can apply it to other situations. For instance, what if we're asked what the largest value of t for which the emf will have it's maximum value?" Then it wouldn't still be pi over 2?

I have a test Thursday and have been wracking my brain trying to figure out why or how he came up with part c. I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you so much!!!! :!!)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi mydoghenry! :smile:
    the maximum value of sin (= 1) is when the angle is π/2 :wink:

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Re: Rotating coil in a model ac generator. Finding smallest value of time for maximum

Thank you so very, very much. It makes sense now. I must have missed the day in class when we learned ∏/2 is the radian form of 90°.

Do you think there's any other way for that question to be asked? For instance, What is the smallest value of t for which the emf will have its minimum value? In this case would it be sin180 (aka sin∏) which I guess is zero. So, maybe there's only one way he'd ask this question.

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes …

he's really not trying to trick you! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook