1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating coil

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flat square coil of N turrns and area A is rotated at an angular velocity w in a uniform magnetic field of strength B. The rotation axis is perpendicular to the magnetic field direction. The coil is connected to a Galvonometer using suitable slip ring connectors and the total resistance in the coil and meter is R. Show that the detected current is I = -NBAcos(wt) / R

2. Relevant equations

Fardays 's law of induction *N
    I = V/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get I = NBAwsin(wt) / R
    I dont see why i am wrong. The B field and area is uniform. So I only differentiate cos(wt) and divide the emf by R to obtain the current.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Both answers can be right, depending on the orientation of the coil at time t=0. Since this isn't given in the problem, all you can say is that I ~ Cos[w(t+t0)]. If t0 = 0, you get a Cos solution, if t0=-pi/(2w), you get a Sin solution, and if t0 is something else, you get something in between.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook