Why Does Rotating Coordinate Axes Affect Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving solving for x and y in an equation. The person is having trouble understanding a specific part of the solution, where the book multiplies two expressions. The expert clarifies that the book is actually multiplying two different expressions involving x' and y', and not the original expressions given in the question.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-15at23607AM.png

17. xy = 2

Screenshot2012-02-15at23611AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you see that step where they do the following:

√2/2 - √2/2 = my answer is 0

and they multiply that to

√2/2 + √2/2 = my answer is √2

So to me the answer is 0 * √2 = 0, but the book shows that that calculation = 2, then they set x over 2 and y over 2, don't understand why.

I don't understand what the book is doing. I understand everything else except that one part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bobsmith76! :smile:
bobsmith76 said:
So to me the answer is 0 * √2 = 0, not 2

the answer to what? :confused:

see revision

bobsmith76 said:
Do you see that step where they do the following:

√2/2 - √2/2 = my answer is 0

and they multiply that to

√2/2 + √2/2 = my answer is √2

do you mean the LHS of the equation at the beginning of the last line? :confused:

then you're ignoring the x' and y'

that LHS multiplies out to 1/2 x'2 - 1/2 y'2, which you can see is the LHS of the next equation

(and the RHS of both equations stays as 2)

are you saying they square √2/2 - √2/2? if they do that is still zero. I don't know what you mean by I'm ignoring x'. What x' am i ignoring.

bobsmith76 said:
are you saying they square √2/2 - √2/2?

they don't have √2/2 - √2/2 !

are we looking at the same question? :confused:

all i'm seeing is something similar with x' and y'

They are NOT dealing with [itex]\sqrt{2}/2- \sqrt{2}/2[/itex], they are dealing with [itex](\sqrt{2}/2)x'- (\sqrt{2}/2)y'[/itex].

ok, thanks. I misread what I was reading I thought it was

(√2/2x' - √2/2x')(√2/2y' + √2/2y')

1. What are rotating coordinate axes?

Rotating coordinate axes are a mathematical concept in which the axes of a graph or coordinate system are rotated to a new orientation. This allows for easier visualization and analysis of data in certain situations.

2. Why are rotating coordinate axes important in science?

Rotating coordinate axes are important in science because they can help simplify complex data and make it easier to interpret. This can be especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How do you rotate coordinate axes?

There are various mathematical equations and methods for rotating coordinate axes, depending on the specific situation. However, in general, the axes can be rotated by changing the values of the coordinates based on a certain angle or transformation.

4. What are the benefits of using rotating coordinate axes?

Using rotating coordinate axes can provide a clearer and more intuitive representation of data, making it easier to identify patterns and make predictions. They can also help simplify calculations and equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotating coordinate axes?

Rotating coordinate axes have many practical applications in science, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to analyze and visualize data in fields such as astronomy, mechanics, and fluid dynamics. They are also commonly used in computer graphics and image processing.