1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating coordinate system

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.brookscole.com/math_d/sp...athematica_labs/14-multipleintegrals/p05a.pdf

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My question concerns the (1) and (2) next to the figure of the rotating coordinate system.

x=ucos(theta)-vsin(theta)
    y=ucos(theta).....

So my problem is I can't visualize it. I can visualize that u = ucos(theta) + usin(theta), but I don't get how u = xcos(theta) + ysin(theta).
    If anyone can explain or try to visually show it to me would be great. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    Hi,xzibition8612.

Multiply both side of equatlity (1) x=ucos(theta)-vsin(theta) with cos(theta) and both of equality y=ucos(theta).....with sin(theta) you will see some terms will vanish.And you will get your answer...

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    ok i did as you said and got u = sin(theta)y + xcos(theta) which is (2). I still don't get how come u is this quantity. I mean in a visual manner. I'm not so smart to understand it abstractly. Sorry for my poor intelligence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook