1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating cylinder

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cylinder with mass of 2 kg can be rotated around fixed horizontal geometrical axis. Around cylinder's circumference there is wounded rope, end of which is pulled by force equal 2,5 N in a horizontal direction, so that cylinder's rotation is accelerated. In what time does end of the rope move for 1,2 m in horizontal direction?
    http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/613/cylinder.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    • [itex]m=2kg[/itex]
    • [itex]F=2,5N[/itex]
    • [itex]x=1,2m[/itex]
    [itex]a_{tangential}=r\alpha[/itex]
    [itex]\phi=\omega_0t+\frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. First and unsuccessful attempt (solution is [itex]1,0s[/itex]):
      [itex]\frac{F}{m}=a_{tangential}=r\alpha=r\frac{2\phi}{t^2}=r\frac{2\frac{x}{r}}{t^2}=\frac{2x}{t^2}\Rightarrow t=\sqrt\frac{2mx}{F}=1,4s[/itex]
    2. While writing this thread, I gave it another shot, this time including inertia [itex]I[/itex] (and getting, what seems, correct solution):
      [itex]\frac{2\phi}{t^2}=\alpha=\frac{\tau}{I}=\frac{Fr}{\frac{1}{2}mr^2}=\frac{F}{\frac{1}{2}m\frac{x}{\phi}}=\frac{2F\phi}{mx}\Rightarrow t=\sqrt\frac{mx}{F}=1,0s[/itex]

What is wrong with first attempt? Ignoring inertia ([itex]I[/itex]) doesn't seem right, but why does (seemingly) rigorous 1. attempt not lead to correct solution (i.e., why is there an extra [itex]\sqrt2[/itex])?

Yours truly,
    courteous.

PS.: Quite likely that I've made grammatical mistakes in 'problem statement'. Please correct me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Solution 2 is correct because it's not F = m*a in 1) is it?

Isn't it really

T = I * α

Where I = 1/2*m*r2 and α is rotational acceleration.

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi courteous! :wink:

Yes, grammar is important! :smile:

i] you keep leaving out "a" and "the" (but they're not needed for "with mass")

ii] the present tense is "wind" (rhymes with "mind"), the past tense is "wound" (rhymes with "sound") (but if you stab someone with a sword, the present tense is "wound" (rhymes with "tuned"), and the past tense is "wounded")

iii] "equal to"

iv] never "move for" …

v] why "geometrical"? :confused:

A cylinder with mass (or "a mass") of 2 kg can be rotated around a fixed horizontal axis. Around the cylinder's circumference there is wound a rope (or "a rope is wound"), the end of which (or "whose end" or "and its end") is pulled by a force equal to 2,5 N (or "of 2,5 N ") in a horizontal direction (or "horizontally"), so that the cylinder's rotation is accelerated. How long does the end of the rope take to move 1,2 m in the horizontal direction?​
    Your first attempt is wrong because, in the formula F = ma, a is different for different parts of the cylinder …

if the cylinder was only a cylindrical shell, so that all of it was at distance r from the axis, then I = mr, and your first attempt would be correct …

but for a solid cylinder, a gets less as you get nearer the axis! :biggrin:

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4
    Indeed, I wrongly thought that, for a point where the rope meets the cylinder, Newton's second law would hold.
    It is. Haven't I correctly used it in 2. attempt?

Cylinder with mass of 2 kg can be rotated around a fixed horizontal geometrical axis. Around the cylinder's circumference there is a wounded rope, end of which is pulled by a force equal to 2,5 N in a horizontal direction, so that the cylinder's rotation is accelerated. In what time does the end of the rope move 1,2 m in a (or the:uhh:) horizontal direction?​
    Any missing or superfluous?

Haven't thought of second "wound". Nice illustration with sword.

Very gratious for pointing out my inveterate mistakes.:approve:

You're right. It really is a tautology, "axis" already harbours "geometrical" ("axis" from latin axis:smile: or axle; better yet: sanskrit aksah "an axle, axis, beam of a balance").:blushing:

tiny-tim, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook